Wellness

My Experience Getting Tested for COVID-19 & Why You Shouldn’t Be Scared to Get Tested!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

First, a disclaimer: I am not a medical health professional (I am a liberal arts student who knows nothing about math or science (I very nearly failed math in Grade 11). My opinions are my own, and I cannot advise you about whether or not you have COVID-19. If you have symptoms, you can go here to assess your symptoms and book a time to get tested.

Back in July, I came down with vicious body aches and a stuffy nose. Like everyone else, I was paranoid about whether my symptoms could be indicative of COVID-19. After doing the self-assessment on the official Ontario Health page, I decided to go to a drive-through testing location.

Needless to say, I was incredibly on edge and nervous about getting tested, especially after reading all of the headlines about how they shove a swab all the way to your brain when you are getting tested.

When arriving at the testing location, I was handed a form to fill out which asked simple questions such as your health card number, your symptoms and whether you were an essential worker or not. Trembling a bit from nerves, I filled out the form as I waited in the long line. Personally, I got there right when the testing center opened and the line was already incredibly long. If you are able to go to drive-through testing where you live, get there early!

Next, one of the workers collected my form and health card to put into the system. After about an hour of waiting, a doctor came and instructed me to roll down my window. As I had indicated that I was symptomatic, he took both a throat and nose test.

The throat test included loudly saying “AHHH” as he put a swab in the back of my throat. This was probably the most unpleasant part, as I could feel that my gag reflex was irritated. However, the discomfort lasted all of ten seconds.

Up next was the part I was dreading: the nose swab. Being instructed to tilt my head back, he inserted the swab into my nose, spun it around a few times and took it out.

After taking a breath, I realized that it was over. Plus, it had not gone into my brain! Honestly, do not believe the articles that tell you this happens. Is it a bit uncomfortable? Yes. Is not knowing if you have COVID-19 more uncomfortable? YES!

In my experience, getting the nose swab done felt as if someone had put something spicy in my nose. It was uncomfortable, but I barely processed the sensation before it was already out.

If you are putting off getting tested due to fear, DON’T. I am so glad I got the test done, and after getting my negative result, I could properly relax.

If you have symptoms, get tested. We all have a responsibility to do so right now. Momentary discomfort is worth it, and who knows, you could end up just having a regular cold!

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!