Wellness > Mental Health

It’s Time to Stop Demonizing Personality Disorders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Between 6% to 15 % of the Canadian population lives with a personality disorder. Each one of these disorders are painted in the most negative way, isolating those with them from society because they are different. No matter the personality disorder, there are damaging stereotypes which limit the ability to openly discuss suffering.

The fear of someone being different has long outweighed the necessity to support those who need it. This fear comes from ignorance, like so many others.

Let’s do a quick run-down. A personality disorder affects who you are at your core: how you function, how you think and how you behave. Your disorder is a part of you and as such, it can be difficult to identify. It is simply your normal.

This not only makes it hard to diagnose, but also incredibly hard to accept. It is one thing to know you are suffering, but it is another thing entirely to know that the root of your suffering is yourself.

Add all of society’s beliefs and preconceived notions, and you’ve got one hell of a ride.

Personality disorders are just one of the many mental illnesses in our world, and yet, they are used to dehumanize those who live with them. These personality disorders are divided into three clusters:

CLUSTER A

Paranoid personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder and schizotypal personality disorder.

CLUSTER B

Antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder.

CLUSTER C

Avoidant personality disorder, dependent personality disorder and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.

Each cluster has recognizable conditions, as well as less familiar ones. With the ones you recognize, what kind of person comes to mind when you think of the disorder?

That’s your bias. Now, how many negative adjectives came to mind? How many positive adjectives?

I’d wager a guess that the negatives far outweigh the positives, but that’s okay.

Its okay to be wary and to think the worst. After all, we are taught these biases through society. It becomes an issue when we allow our biases to dictate how we treat people. You are allowed to have your biases and your beliefs, but it is important to recognize that those do not dictate the truth.

You are not allowed to demonize people for something they cannot control.

Personality disorders form as a result of one’s genes, environment or both. Oftentimes, genes are the basis of these disorders, while your environment triggers the development. Once again, these are not things you can control.

You do not control who your biological parents are and you do not control every event that happens in your life.

No one wants to hurt and no one wants to suffer, but some people do. It is not your job to add to their pain by viewing them as lesser or dangerous. Your job is to be understanding and to know your boundaries. You don’t have to help them, but you certainly do not get to judge them for something they will always have to work to keep under control.

Kathryn Morton

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kathryn is a third year language student who spent her first year stumbling through Laurier's financial mathematics program before ultimately changing her major. Yes, she's aware those two have no overlap, we don't talk about that. This is her third year writing for Her Campus Laurier.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her