This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Right around this time of year I like to imagine that I’m on a beach somewhere sipping a margarita and not freezing cold and snowed in my student house where the sun disappears after 4pm. The combination of the day light savings ‘fall back’ and cold weather can take a toll on those of us who suffer from seasonal affective disorder. Here are a few tips you should try this season to beat the winter blues!

Change up your environment

Think about ways to brighten up your space! Touches of green from plants and succulents will make your place feel livelier. An oil diffuser can illuminate your room in cool colours and you can even customize the scent. Or, if you don’t get a lot of natural light from the window in your room, bring in some artificial lighting in forms of lamps and fairy lights.

Keep warm

Going outside and getting some fresh air, despite how cold it may be, is actually a good thing. Just make sure you’re prepared for the conditions with the appropriate winter gear. Keep things cozy at home for when you return with fuzzy blankets and if you have fixed rent, crank the thermostat!

Practice healthy eating habits

Comfort foods usually make us feel better, but only for so long before the crash hits us. Choose foods you know will keep you full, happy, and boost your energy to make getting through the day much easier.

Start exercising

Braving the cold to get to the gym can seem like quite the feat, but you’ll be more likely to stick to the plan if you’ve committed to going with a friend. The endorphins will give you an instant mood boost and if you find the right gym buddy, it can even end up being fun.  I like to workout with my roommate from first year because she’s always cheery and it gives us a chance to catch up!

Music and movies

Tis’ the season to indulge in new tunes and Netflix marathons. There are countless Christmas movies and albums to choose from. If you’re not in the holiday spirit, don’t worry, there are still so many options to choose from. Try out a new TV show or playlist on Spotify to brighten your day. Some personal favorites of mine include Jane The Virgin and Niall Horan’s new album… they always put a smile on my face!

You don’t have to hibernate this year! Follow these tips and make the most out of your winter season, Golden Hawks!

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.
Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University