Life > Experiences

How to Safely Celebrate Halloween With Your Social Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This year, Halloween will look a little different than it has in previous years. With restrictions put in place because of the coronavirus pandemic, we won’t be able to gather and celebrate the spooky season like we used to. Even though these restrictions will limit our Halloween festivities, there are still so many fun and socially distant activities that will help us all enjoy Halloween safely this year.

Zoom Pumpkin Carving

Pumpkin carving during October is a must for my family and friends. This year, we won’t be able to get together in groups and have pumpkin carving competitions like we used to. A fun and easy alternative to in-person pumpkin carving is having a carving competition over Zoom! This way, you can invite as many friends as you want and stay safe doing so.

Socially Distant Costume Contest

If you still want to see your friends this year, a socially distant costume contest will help keep you safe while celebrating. You can dress up, tell all your friends to do the same and then meet at a park or an open outdoor area to show off your costumes. Remember to stay six feet apart! This allows you to socialize with your friends while still following coronavirus rules and regulations. If your group chooses, you can even have a costume contest where you rate and compare everyone’s costumes! This is a fun and safe alternative to Halloween parties.

Incorporate a Mask into Your Costume

It’s time to get creative! Incorporating a mask into your costume can help keep you and others safe if you run into a situation where you can’t socially distance this Halloween. Since most people have never had to incorporate face masks into their Halloween costumes, there are endless costume options. For example, you could be a doctor for Halloween this year and add a mask to finish off the look. You could also opt for a solid colour face mask if you’re going to be an animal and have the face mask match the colour of the animal.

Decorating Your Apartment or House

Another safe way to get into the fall spirit is to decorate your living area. This will help you to feel included in fall festivities if you’re unable to participate in any socially distant activities. Most dollar stores have a seasonal section where they have all kinds of fun and festive decorations. You can also choose to go to your local grocery store or the closest farm and pick up some pumpkins or gourds to spice up your home as well.

All of these are great ways to help you and others stay safe this Halloween. Fall festivities will no doubt be limited and very different from anything we’ve ever experienced before, but safety must come first for us to get back to our normal fall celebrations in the coming years. This spooky season will bring about many changes, but it’s up to us to make the most of it!

Alexandra Winter

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alex is in her third year of Kinesiology at Wilfrid Laurier University and is also minoring in Psychology. She has been a writer for Her Campus for about a year and a half and has loved every second of it. Some of her main hobbies include reading, working out, and hanging out with friends. Her favourite shows are Money Heist and Euphoria. She has a twin sister and 3 amazing pets who she loves very much.