How to Find Your Winter Workout Motivation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Although I don’t know you, there are two things I could tell you about yourself. First, you set a New Year’s goal to be healthier. Second, you’ve already given up on it. I know this because fitness resolutions are most popular at the start of January and, after some research, it has been proven that over 95% of people give up on these goals by January 15th. 

Between pitch dark mornings, cold temperatures and EXPENSIVE membership options, it’s no wonder most people give up on their goals so easily, but let me assure you, there is no temperature too cold for your summer bod goals. I have come up with a few tips and tricks to help you keep your winter workout schedule and turn your resolutions into a lifestyle. 

Start with your eating habits

Most people forget two things when starting their fitness journey: one, more than 80% of being healthier revolves around the foods you nourish your body with and two, salads are NOT the only option. 

There are so many ways to eat healthy without sacrificing flavour and fulfilment. You also do not need to constantly deprive yourself of the foods you crave. Love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Try some whole wheat bread, sugar-free jelly and all natural peanut butter instead! Can’t stop thinking about a Chipotle bowl? Try making your own! Providing your body with the nourishment it needs is the first step to feeling good enough to get a good workout in. 

Discover your favourite type of workout

There is nothing I hate more in this world than cardio. Running on a treadmill? More like running away from the treadmill *hits drums.* It didn’t take me long to figure out what kinds of workouts were best for me and which kinds were not. The best way to find what works for you is to try a variety of different workouts. There is no shortage of classes at Laurier and one is bound to cater to your needs! Need a good stretch? Try some pilates. Want to sweat it out while listening to amazing music? Zumba is the place to be! Regardless, discovering what you enjoy doing is a surefire way to ensure you meet your goals.

Find a friend to keep you accountable

We’ve all used the buddy system before, and starting a fitness journey doesn’t have to be done alone! Simply having a friend to ask you how your journey is going will prove successful in holding you to your goals. If you’re nervous about doing something alone, having a friend with you will ease your nerves and help you to feel more comfortable. 

Hey! I’ll even be your buddy. Simply send me a message on Instagram (michdiceglie) and I’ll be more than willing to be your accountability buddy!

Work out from home

Too cold to venture outside? Too shy about going to the gym? Can’t afford a membership? There are so many ways to work out from the comfort of your own home, meaning you have no excuse! With a small investment in just a yoga mat, you can achieve any bodyweight workout you desire! YouTube has an endless supply of workout videos and they’re all FREE. Ab workouts from bed? Sign me up!

Need to upgrade your workout regime but still don’t want to hit the gym? Beachbody on Demand is the Netflix of fitness and the number one place for killer home workouts. For less than $100 a year – cheaper than Netflix AND any yearly gym membership – you gain access to over 50 different workout programs and tools to ensure your success. Again, just shoot me a message if you want to know more! 

Being healthy is a choice that is super easy to make once you get started. Just don’t give up! 

Michelle DiCeglie

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Hi everyone! I am currently a senior at Wilfrid Laurier University studying Economics and Business Management. I love the 3 F's (food, fashion, fitness) and I can't wait to share more with you all! 
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.