This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Have you been feeling unproductive lately? Do you feel like you can never work hard enough to stay on top of your studies? Are you unmotivated, uninspired and exhausted? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might be suffering from academic burnout.

Academic Burnout is a chronic condition that results from overworking and over-studying. It’s important to recognize that the way you feel is a result of an actual condition, instead of blaming yourself or feeling guilty. Academic burnout can manifest into physical ailments, like headaches or insomnia. Luckily, this is treatable and even preventable. Here are some ways to fight academic burnout:

1. Recognize your problem

Once you recognize the symptoms of academic burnout, you can be less hard on yourself. You aren’t lazy or lacking creativity. You are simply suffering from a physiological condition.

2. Schedule time for yourself and schoolwork

Make a schedule for when you should be studying and what to study for. This can make you feel less overwhelmed and make you feel a bit more motivated. Also, make sure you schedule time for yourself and take breaks in between study sessions. Breaks should be roughly 20 minutes for every hour or so of studying.

3. Talk to others

Let your friends know what you are going through! Ask them to check in or send you reminders to take time for yourself, or study with them so they can keep you on track. If you have not been performing as well in class, let your professors know that you are feeling overwhelmed. They are usually pretty understanding and might even give you extensions on projects.

4. Set reasonable goals and don’t be too hard on yourself

If you are trying to get back on track, make sure to set reasonable goals. If you plan to get a bunch of work done that you probably won’t be able to do in time, you will feel worse about yourself. Set attainable goals and don’t be too hard on yourself when you miss a self-imposed deadline.

5. Put limits on device usage

Academic burnout is perpetuated by distractions. Even if you try your hardest to stay on track and not get distracted, a lack of motivation can lead you to check your phone constantly and scroll endlessly on social media. You can limit these distractions by setting reminders to get off of your phone or downloading study apps that limit distractions and motivate you to keep working.

There you have it! Tips to conquer academic burnout! If you are dealing with this problem, it is very easy to look at yourself in a negative light. Just remember: Your mental health is so much more important than the grades you receive.

Hailey Inman

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Hailey Inman is a first year Psychology major who's minoring in french. She loves reading, writing and painting.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.