girl lounging relax 3
girl lounging relax 3
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

How to Combat Quarantine Fatigue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Well, it’s March again. A whole year of living through a worldwide pandemic that has changed life as we know it. Remember when we were only going to be out of university for two weeks? Things really, really changed.

After going through the long adjustment of getting used to being alone in order to keep the wider community safe, we have all been forced to drastically change our way of living. Many of our jobs were also affected by the near-constant lockdown. It hasn’t been easy.

If you’re like me, you’re probably going through the strain of having to wait yet another few months to get the COVID-19 vaccine and feel a new sense of normalcy. Until we are vaccinated, we need to remain responsible and continue on for just a bit longer (however difficult that may be).

To help you feel a new sense of excitement in your life, here are some ideas for how to combat quarantine fatigue.

Try Out Some New Recipes

It may sound simple, but it does offer some excitement into your life once more. This week I tried a mug cake for the first time, and it was delicious! By changing up your routine in simple ways, you can feel a whole lot better.

Try Out a New Exercise Routine

Again, a simple change that can have amazing results. It’s important to stay moving, especially when we’re constantly cooped up inside, so trying out a new exercise routine can feel invigorating.

Get a New Book From the Library

Bonus points if you get a genre of novel that you’ve never read before or pick a book at random without looking at the synopsis! This can be really fun and may provide you with a new outlook, which something that is incredibly important right now in order to avoid fatigue.

Challenge Yourself to Watch All the Films Up For an Oscar this Year

Of course, I will be taking part in this one. As a film student, I am pretty much required to. Watching the Oscars is a staple for me every year and up until this year, I have never managed to watch all the films that are up for key awards. This year, I am going to try something different and make a solid attempt to watch them all so that I can rank them on my own list of who should have won!

Learn a New Instrument

This might be tricky, depending on what you have access to. However, it is a fun challenge, and I believe most of us have some sort of instrument lying around that you have never properly learned to play (piano, for me). Try taking up a new hobby and finding some informational YouTube videos or guides that can assist you in learning to play!

I hope you try some of these tips to give your COVID life some new meaning. Just think – we can see the end of the tunnel. We have almost reached the point where we can be vaccinated, and then the slow progression back to our regular lives begins. Until then, continue to wear a mask and social distance. We’ve got this!

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!