Healthy On-the-Go Snacks That Will Satisfy All of Your Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

October is here, and that means midterm season is just around the corner. Unfortunately, this also means a jam-packed schedule for most Golden Hawks. Although it may seem easiest to reach for that bag of chips while you’re rushing to the library, it’s not always the best option for your health. So, here are some quick and easy, healthy, on-the-go snacks that your body will thank you for choosing!

Greek Yogurt Strawberry bites

Ingredients:

• Strawberries
  • Greek Yogurt

This snack is simple, easy, satisfying, and great for on the go! Just grab your favorite Greek yogurt, dip freshly hulled strawberries, and let sit in the freezer for a few hours. This snack is high in protein, vitamin C, and filled with probiotics.

Cinnamon Apple Chips

Ingredients:

• Any type of apple
  • Cinnamon
  • Sugar

Yes, this snack requires an oven – something that strikes fear in the minds of students everywhere who burn their mac and cheese. But trust me, this is so simple you won’t mess it up!

• Start by cutting an apple into thin slices.
  • Preheat oven to 225 F.
  • Next, mix approximately 1 tsp. of cinnamon and ½ tsp. sugar in a bowl (adjust measurements to your preference).
  • Once that’s complete, lay the apple slices on a baking sheet with the cinnamon sugar mixture sprinkled all over.
  • Put the apple slices in the oven for 45min to 1hr.

This snack is healthy, full of fibre, and will keep you satisfied for longer.

Roasted Chickpeas

Ingredients:

• 1 can of chickpeas
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • Spices of your choosing (I tend to reach for onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and chili powder)

Now this snack’s a tiny bit harder to make, but the pros outweigh the cons! This snack’s delicious, satisfying, and can last for up to a week in the fridge, or up to 10 months in the freezer!

• Preheat oven to 400 F
  • Spread a drained can of chickpeas out onto a cooking sheet
  • Drizzle 2 tbsp. olive oil onto the chickpeas
  • Place cooking sheet of chickpeas in the oven for 40 minutes
  • When finished, chickpeas should be nicely roasted and crispy
  • Now your chickpeas are ready to be seasoned!
  • Mix any spices of your choosing in a bowl.
  • Once that’s finished, evenly coat your chickpeas

They are now ready to snack on and enjoy! This snack’s great for satisfying hunger while staying healthy. Roasted chickpeas are great for maintaining heart health, good digestion, and reducing inflammation. Not to mention its low caloric content, with half a cup averaging roughly 134 calories.

Raw Vegan Fruit and Cinnamon Energy Bars (personal favorite)

Makes up to twelve bars. Lasts up to two weeks.

Ingredients:

• One cup pitted medjool dates
  • One cup almonds
  • Half cup of dried mulberries (substitute with any dried fruit)
  • Half cup dried cranberries
  • Half cup pistachios
  • One tablespoon maple syrup
  • One teaspoon cinnamon

Start by dusting off that old food processor! This may sound scary, but trust me, it’s super easy, and will be oh so worth it.

• In no specific order, drop all of these ingredients into the food processor.
  • Start by pulsing a few times, then work up to full speed.
  • Next, sit back and watch the magic. 
  • After a few minutes, the food processor will turn these ingredients into what somewhat resembles a “clump” or a ball.
  • Because we all love to be classy, grab the clump with your hands like the lady you are.
  • Spread it onto wax paper and flatten it down.
  • Let it sit in the fridge for an hour, then cut into bars or squares.

Well, collegiettes, there you go! Easy and delicious snacks that can be taken anywhere on the run. Your taste buds and bodies will thank you! Happy snacking! 

Rachel Elysha B

Wilfrid Laurier '17

Rachel is just your average Canadian, who's passionate about all things legal when it comes to American politics and how the US and Canada intersect. As well, a self proclaimed yoga enthusiast, fashion consumed and pop culture junkie. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can probably catch her at the mall, reading up about the latest in the world of globalism and government, and watching beauty tutorials on YouTube 
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem