This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Recently, I’ve been thinking about the song “It’s Time to Go” by Taylor Swift and how much it currently applies to my life. The song from the Evermore album is a deep cut that discusses themes of knowing when it’s time to go and move on from a situation, despite how difficult it can be. This situation can be anything, be it a friendship, relationship, sport, job or hobby. Now that I’m in a situation where it’s been a long time coming and ready to leave, I want to share five signs that let me know it was time to go and move on. 

1. You are Unfulfilled 

When I started to feel like my situation was not fulfilling, it left me empty and purposeless. Whatever you’re doing or whatever situation you’re in, know it’s time to move on when you feel like you aren’t gaining anything out of what you’re doing. 

2. It Doesn’t Fuel Your Soul

Similar to recognizing when something doesn’t fulfill you, another sign is when something or someone drains your energy, causing it not to fuel your soul. You don’t have to be excited about something all the time. However, it should never make you feel like you’re losing energy. 

3. You Aren’t Growing as A Person 

Growing as a person can look different for everyone. However, there’s one thing that I stand by: if you feel like you’re inside of a locked box and it’s hard for you to branch out, whatever the situation, it’s time to move on. 

4. You Find it Hard to Forgive 

Forgiveness is hard. Sometimes, people have reasons why they can’t forgive and that’s okay. However, if you ever feel like you’re in a situation where you find it extremely hard to forgive, it’s time to shift your energy into something that feeds your soul with positive energy. 

5. Deep Down, You Know It’s Time to Go

A lot of the time, deep down, people know it’s time to go and move on. If you ever feel like deep down, you should leave, listen to your gut to re-direct your life. The most challenging part is putting your foot down and taking the necessary actions to improve your life. However, once you start taking action, you will feel better. By experience, starting the necessary actions to change whatever you need is the first step to improving your life. You got this!

By recognizing these five signs, I knew when it was time to move on from my negative situation. As I said, taking those first steps to change whatever it is you need to change is the hardest part. Just know that I believe in you and you got this! You deserve to live a life that fulfills you and makes you happy. 

“Sometimes walking out is the one thing that will find you the right thing” — Taylor Swift.

Love always,

Sophia

Sophia Guardado

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Sophia is an English Literature student at Wilfrid Laurier University. On her free time, you will catch her reading books, taking long nature walks or at the gym!