Style > Fashion

Easy and Simple Things You Can Do Every Day to Practice Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Being a university student, I find that life often gets very hectic. This is especially true during exam season. However, I have found that the more I implement self-care habits into my daily routine, the more smoothly my day goes by. These habits help to improve my mood, allow me to destress, help me to avoid burnout and much more. I have realized that in order to be the best version of myself, I have to actually care about my well-being. And so, choosing to take some time out of the day is not a selfish choice. This is why I have compiled a list of some very easy and simple ways that you can implement self-care into your daily routine. These habits will allow you to decompress and get your mind off your busy schedule without taking up a lot of your time.

Go for a walk

I go on walks frequently because it really helps to clear my head. Most days, my walks only last half an hour, so I am almost always able to fit it into my busy schedule. I also find that physical exercise is great for boosting my energy and improving my mood. Throughout my walks, I will listen to my favourite music and take the time to notice little things like nature. This quick and easy task is a great self-care habit to implement into your life.

Read

Reading is one of my favourite hobbies. I try to read every day, even if it is just a couple of chapters. Reading allows me to focus on something other than my to-do list. I get to use my imagination, enrich my mind and really destress. When comparing it to things like social media, I find that reading is a much more positive form of entertainment, since sometimes when I scroll through social media I get too caught up in other peoples’ lives. However, this does not happen when I read, which is why I gravitate towards it more

Try Cooking a Nourishing Meal

Cooking a nourishing meal is a great form of self-care! Most university students find cooking to be a very tedious task, and so they order takeout quite often. However, you do not have to make a super complex and time-consuming meal. There are many simple and healthy meals that will do. Remember, self-care is all about prioritizing yourself, and along with this comes your health. So instead of ordering a meal, try to make something that is going to fuel your mind and body. 

Practice Daily Gratitude

Practicing gratitude is a great way to maintain a positive mindset. A simple way to do this is by writing down a few things you are grateful for each morning. Some examples can be your family, your health, your friends or the nice weather. It can be very comforting to focus on the good things in your life rather than the negative.

From the examples I have mentioned, it is really easy to see that self-care does not have to be difficult to implement, nor does it have to be time-consuming. There are many simple self-care habits that you can add to your daily routine to help you destress, boost your energy, improve your focus and much more. You are more important than your list of priorities, so take some time today to focus on yourself.

Elvan Ulkuseven

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Elvan is in her 2nd year at Wilfrid Laurier University studying Business Administration (BBA), with a minor in French. Her passions include reading and baking. She is very excited to be writing for Her Campus this year!