This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Whether you’re a beginner with a desire to start working out or have been in a gym slump and want to get back to working out again, starting at the gym can often feel intimidating. The idea of being surrounded by confusing equipment and more experienced gym buffs can take a major toll on your confidence. Being unable to shake the nervousness and the feeling that you just don’t look right steers people away from the gym far too often.

While these feelings are understandable and completely valid, it’s important to remember that everyone’s personal fitness journey starts somewhere. Everyone felt intimidated by the gym at one point — even the gym buffs. Not only can the gym improve your physical well-being, but it’s a great way to relieve stress, boost your mood and uplift your self-esteem. No matter what your goals may be, it’s important that you keep them at the forefront of your mind — that’s your motivation, your reason to show up at the gym and keep from turning around and going home. It’s important that you give yourself credit for wanting to start working out. You have the desire to be a happier and/or healthier version of yourself, so let that outweigh the fear of going to the gym.

Don’t get me wrong, this can be much easier said than done. Seeing super-fit fellow gym-goers squatting, bench-pressing and deadlifting ridiculous amounts of weight is scary, allowing feelings of insecurity to seep in. With that being said, you don’t have to immediately pump iron when at the gym — there’s no need to put that kind of pressure on yourself. For example, you can start with cardio, such as a treadmill or spin bike, and get a feel for the environment. As you continue to go, try experimenting with machine equipment when you’re ready — there are often diagrams that demonstrate how machines are to be properly used, easing confusion and allowing for a smoother experience! Eventually, as your comfort increases, you can start using free weights. TikTok is a great place to get inspiration about what exercises to do, often showing helpful demonstrations of appropriate form. Researching and having a plan for when you go to the gym is a great way to feel more secure during your workout.

There are also other forms of exercise offered at the gym that may be more up your alley. Whether it’s yoga, spin classes, Zumba, swimming and the like, going to the gym doesn’t always have to involve lifting weights. It’s okay to experiment, switch up your routine and ultimately find what you enjoy best!

Your relationship with the gym may not always be linear. Some days your body may be achy and sore, you may be too tired or you might just be burnt out after a long day — that’s okay! The gym can have its ups and downs and come in ebbs and flows, but above all else, going to the gym should be an activity that you enjoy. Ease into the gym and re-ease if you need to. Remember, everyone starts (or starts again) somewhere.

Avery Carpino

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Avery is a fourth-year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She enjoys working out, reading and watching TV shows — The Walking Dead and Suits are shows she always revisits. She also loves spending time with her friends and family. Avery loves being a writer for Laurier’s Her Campus chapter, as writing is her main creative outlet.