This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Nothing is better than skating, and no one can convince me otherwise. I’ve been skating for almost as long as I’ve been able to walk, give or take a few years. It’s one of my favorite pastimes and I take every opportunity to skate that’s given to me.

But moving to Waterloo for university meant needing to discover local arenas and their public skate schedules, which isn’t difficult, but is definitely time-consuming. So I’ve compiled a list of each arena’s public or free skates, and the costs associated with them. Due to the nature of outdoor rinks and the sheer number of them available, they’ve been excluded from this list. To find an outdoor arena near you, check the City of Waterloo website.

Public Skates

Albert McCormick Community Centre

With two separate rinks, Albert McCormick Community Centre is open for public skates on Tuesdays from 4 to 5 p.m., Saturdays from 3 to 3:50 p.m. and Sundays 12 to 12:50 p.m.

RIM Park Manulife Sportsplex and Healthy Living Centre

This location has four Olympic sized rinks! It’s open for public skates on Saturdays from 7:30 to 9:20 p.m. and Sundays from 3:30 to 5:20 p.m. Adult skates are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 12:50 p.m., as well as Saturdays from 8:40 to 10:30 p.m.

Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex

Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex has one Olympic sized rink, with public skates on Fridays from 4 to 4:50 p.m. Adult skates are on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 12 to 12:50 p.m.

Free Skates

Want to go skating but don’t have the cash? The city’s next free skate will be on December 8th from 3:30 to 5:20 p.m at RIM Park Manulife Sportsplex and Healthy Living Centre.

Special Skates

Got money burning a hole in your pocket? Well neither do I. But if you want to drop $75 plus tax on January 18th there’s a “Date Night Skate.” This includes a three-course meal for you and your significant other, two hot chocolate vouchers and skate admissions, plus live entertainment! The dinner is at 7 p.m. and the skate runs from 8:40 to 10:30 p.m. at RIM Park.

What Else You Should Know

Public skates and adult skates cost $6.30 for those who are 18 to 54 years old. Public skates are open to all ages but adult skates are only open to those 18 and up. Chances are if you’re new to skating, one of the adult skates will be a bit easier for you to practice in; sometimes public skates are overly busy and chaotic.

PSA: Be warned, Waterloo does not offer skate rentals at any of its arenas.

Get your skates laced and head down to one of the arenas near you!

Kathryn Morton

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kathryn is a third year language student who spent her first year stumbling through Laurier's financial mathematics program before ultimately changing her major. Yes, she's aware those two have no overlap, we don't talk about that. This is her third year writing for Her Campus Laurier.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her