samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Drinks to Get You Through Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The thought of school can drive the best of us to drinking; and by drinking, I mean an entire bottle of the strongest booze that will erase all memories of stress and homework from your mind.

But considering we are heading into the shit storm of midterms, I suppose it would be best to keep your wits about you and your brain intact. So, I have compiled a “Menu” for everyone to consider when taste-testing, in order to help you charge through any future examinations and papers you will have to write on the battlefield.

1. Coffee

We’ll start things off with a classic. If you want something quick and with a good kick, coffee is always the trick. Sorry, not sorry for that hopelessly cheesy sentence. But seriously: if you like to keep things a little traditional, a straight-up coffee is the way to go, however, you take it. And not to toot my own horn or anything because I work here, but Timothy’s Coffee has A-grade beans shipped from around the globe and their pots are always fresh. Not to mention the substantial selection that is offered, from Toasted Coconut to non-flavoured medium roast — my favourite being Kenya AA. And if you have a Keurig machine, we have a selection of K-cups that will BLOW YOUR MIND. 

2. Black or Green Tea

Again, I will slowly ease into the more “fancy” drinks as we go, but I’ll start with the basics for all my basic bitches out there. Black tea is a great alternative to coffee and has more caffeine than green or white tea. There is a vast selection of different black teas, from Orange Pekoe to English or Irish breakfast, Earl Grey, etc. According to Organic Facts, black teas have many health benefits and, even better for those early grey hairs you’re finding in your hair, it relieves stress. As well, green tea has caffeine and helps you to focus! 

3. Caramel Corretto (Iced or Hot)
If you’re in the mood for a sweet treat and you need that extra boost to keep you functioning, Second Cup makes a mean caramel-flavoured latte. Iced or hot, it is one of my favourites. Also, if you’re scared of losing your teeth, you can always ask for it half-sweet! 

4. The Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte

While I haven’t tried this Starbucks drink, I have heard many people rave about it. Naturally, since I am an avid fan of anything with espresso in it, I am on my way to try this as we speak. 

5. Peppermint White Mocha
While sometimes the peppermint shots at cafes are only seasonal, some places carry them year round. And since Starbucks hot chocolate powder is gross (in my opinion because it’s both bland and bitter somehow), go down to the William’s on campus and order a white mocha with a peppermint shot. And if you’re feeling risky, get it made with whipped cream on top. 

6. Flat White 

While there is some debate about whether this drink originated in Australia or New Zealand, either way, it will make your belly do a little happy dance. This drink is similar to a regular latte; the main difference being that it’s made with little-to-no foam, and the top has a fine layer of micro-foam, which makes it super smooth. And if you need to, you can always add some sugar yourself, as it does not come with any flavour shots or cane sugar. 

While there are a ton more drinks out there, these are some of the most popular and my personal favourites. So, if you’re in the mood to have a hot or cold beverage to accompany your studying, definitely try these out! 

Hanna Jackson

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.