Wellness > Health

The Best Classes to Use From Your New Group Ex Pass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Ah, September — still early enough in the year that we’re filled with such grand plans of hitting the gym five times a week and gorging on kale and protein powder. Let’s be real here: most of us won’t keep that up past reading week.

We’ve all been there.

But! That shiny little ‘Group Ex’ sticker you just stuck to your One Card is blinding you! You spent the money, now you damn well better hit those classes and make it worth while! I am WITH YOU, ladies and that is why my roommates and I spent a week trying as many classes at the Athletic Complex (AC) as we could, to report back on the best workouts to try with your new pass. 

And the Group Ex Fitness Awards go to…

Flirty Fitness – Most Entertaining

It’s a combo of both dance choreo and a workout routine. Flirty Fitness will definitely get your heart pumping. The real key in this one, though, is its sexy side — you’ll be booty popping, hip shaking and hair flipping your way through the whole routine. 10/10 would recommend, especially if you missed out on the burlesque classes on the dance pass. 

Christina would approve.

GSRBHC – Best Variety

Squats and planks and weights, oh my! This is a combination of three shorter classes: Gun Show (upper body strength), Rock Bottom (hips, butts, and thighs) and Hard Core (those abs). Trust me, you’ll leave this one feeling sweaty and sore in literally every single part of your body (and if you’re like me and do the class first thing in the morning, you’ll be feeling that all day), so you definitely know it’s working.

Cardio Kickboxing – Most Unique

HIYAH!

This class is SO. MUCH. FUN. It’s not quite a kickboxing class, but it uses kickboxing moves to get your heart pumping and legs burning. Not only is that ridiculously cool, but it also gives an alternative to anyone who wants an interesting workout that isn’t dance-based (I get it, I have no rhythm.).Besides, who doesn’t need a little dose of badass in their life?

Yoga – Best Stress Relief

This one probably comes as no surprise, but yoga really is great for detoxing from all the stress of school and work and just…everything. Life is stressful! A candlelit room with soothing music is the perfect place for you to stretch and massage your worries away.

There you have it, folks! Whether you’ve nabbed the pass already or are still tossing it back and forth, definitely check out these four classes. And there are plenty of other great ones too: like Dance Mixx, Bootylicious and Pi-Yo. So grab your gym bag, fill your water bottle and get moving!

Brittney Payer

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Brittney is a fourth year History and Medieval Studies Major with minors in English and Spanish - so, basically, she's a massive nerd who does research for fun and is totally fine with that! She loves reading trashy romance novels and not-so-trashy fantasy novels, attempting to write short stories (likely also romances, trashy level TBD), researching obscure folklore, and belting out to her favourite broadway tunes. When not writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her bingeing some new telenovela or joining yet another campus club!