bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Beginner’s Guide to All Things Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The leaves are changing colours and falling, the weather is getting cooler (slowly, but surely); autumn is here. Which also means the season for cozy, hot drinks has finally arrived. I’m not much of a coffee person, but I LOVE tea… literally any kind will make me feel all happy inside – and there is a scientific reason for this! Read on to learn more about the different kinds of teas, their health benefits, and learn how to brew the perfect cup of tea. 

The 5 Basic Teas 

All authentic tea must come from the plant Camellia Sinensis, native to China and India. The 5 basic teas – black, green, white, oolong, and pu-erh/fermented – all come from this plant. Are some of your favourite herbal selections ones like chamomile, peppermint, or rooibos? They are actually called tisanes, but let’s talk about that a little later. 

1. Black

Caffeine level: High

Of all the basic teas, black tea has the highest level of caffeine. It makes for a great, healthier alternative to coffee for those days when you need a nice pick-me-up, without the jitters and the crash. It is made with fully oxidized leaves, making it the richest of the teas. The taste is slightly bitter, with light citrus notes. It is the most popular tea in North America and Europe, is often taken with milk and sugar, and is the base tea for most iced teas. Some popular examples are: Darjeeling and Golden Monkey. 

2. Green

Caffeine level: Medium 

Green tea is most popular in Asia – especially China and Japan, where it is made – and is known for its metabolism-boosting and antioxidant properties. Unlike black tea, it is not oxidized. Instead, it is steamed or pan-fried, giving it its green colour and delicate, grassy, toasty taste. Sencha, Jasmine, and Matcha are all varieties of green tea.

3. White

Caffeine level: Low 

The most delicate and mild of the teas – white tea is made from leaf buds that are plucked before they are open. A significant feature of white tea leaves is that they are covered with whitish hairs. White tea leaves are slightly oxidized, not rolled (unlike the other teas), and are unprocessed. It tastes slightly floral, providing a natural sweetness. Examples include White Peony and Silver Needle.  

4. Oolong

Caffeine level: Medium 

Translating from Chinese to “black dragon”, oolong is very popular in China and due to its complexity, it is the most sought out tea by connoisseurs. It’s partly oxidized leaves make it a combination of black and green teas, in both colour and taste. Oolong teas – such as Black Dragon and Ti Kuan Yin (‘Iron Goddess’) – are extremely flavourful and aromatic, with woody and floral or fruity notes. 

5. Pu-Erh

Caffeine level: High

Pu-Erh (pronounced pu-ARR or pu-ERR) is a Chinese fermented tea, known for its medicinal benefits in Asia. It bears a distinct earthy, woodsy, musty aroma with a red hue, and is valued like wine: the longer the fermentation period and the more aged the tea leaves are, the more this tea is worth. 

Tisanes

These are the herbal teas, which I so dearly love (chamomile is my favourite). There are 6 categories of tisanes: leaf, flower, bark, root, fruit/berry, and seed/spice. Here is a list of some popular examples from each category:

–  Leaf: mint, lemongrass, rooibos, yerba mate

–  Flower: chamomile, rose, hibiscus

–  Bark: cinnamon, black cherry bark

–  Root: ginger, Echinacea

–  Fruit/berry: raspberry, blueberry, peach

–  Seed/spice: fennel, cardamom 

Health Benefits

Tea contains an amino acid called theanine, which makes this drink the perfect natural anti-depressant and stress-reliever. Theanine provides an abundance of health benefits, such as physical and mental relaxation, helping to decrease anxiety, blood pressure regulation, and the enhancement of memory and concentration. It also affects the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine in the brain, which elicits feelings of pleasure and calmness. Along with caffeine, tea can help one improve their alertness and mental clarity. Lastly, because it is full of antioxidants, drinking tea can help promote weight loss. Some other health benefits may include:

–  Boosting the immune system

–  Reducing risk of heart attack, stroke, and cancer

–  Protect bones and prevent tooth decay

–  Sooth the digestive system

–  Relieve bloating/anti-inflammatory 

Make the Perfect Cup of Tea

Pinkies out, cheers!

4th year Music Therapy/Psychology student at Wilfrid Laurier University. While not musicking, can be found writing, gymming, watching Netflix, adventuring, hanging out with friends, and living in the "now". Personal blog: www.ebbonyandlune.com
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.