This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Before you read this article, I strongly advise that you take the enneagram test. Having taken it a few times myself, as well as reading through the different types to cement my beliefs, I know I am an enneagram six.

As an enneagram six (and I’m sure all other sixes can relate!), I strongly crave safety. Being a chronic over-thinker, I consistently think about every possible situation that could unfold from every decision I make and then prepare accordingly. Based on this, I wouldn’t be surprised if other type sixes also suffer from anxiety like I do.

Surprisingly, sixes are found to make up only 10 percent of the population (based on a study of 54,000 people). This makes me wonder how many (or how few) sixes I know in my own life.

Along with the traits that come from being a type six (good communicator, detail-oriented and a strong team player), there are two ‘wings’ that a six can fall under. These are 6w5 and 6w7.

6w5’s, which is the wing I identify with, are independent. By putting less trust in others, they tend to be more introverted. For me, this has been an incredible gift while also being a curse. I have managed to save myself from a lot of hurt by being slow to trust and confide in others, but there are points where I should have been more open and available to others. However, the type six in me always insists that I hold a small part of myself back. This is something that I’m personally working on and encourage other type sixes to attempt as well. Treating outsiders with suspicion is not always a strong suit and can hold us back from many valuable relationships.

6w7’s are more sociable and extroverted and are incredibly compassionate and good team players. I know many people who fit under this type 6 wing and they are always wonderful to work with.

Honestly, I think all type sixes fall under each ‘wing’ in different ways. As with most tests that give you a certain ‘type’ (Myers-Briggs etc), there is bound to be some overlap as there are multiple components to each individual’s personality and sense of self.

In terms of famous type six celebrities/influential people/fictional characters, there are quite a few!

• Prince Harry
  • Jennifer Aniston
  • Tom Hanks
  • Joe Biden
  • J. R. R. Tolkien
  • Julia Roberts
  • Bilbo Baggins
  • Hamlet
  • Ron Weasley
  • Mulan

Do you identify as a type six? If you do, what ‘wing’ do you think you fall under the most? Although tests such as the enneagram test and Myers-Briggs cannot tell you everything about a person, I think they are incredibly interesting to get a brief look at what someone’s personality might be or how they may deal with certain everyday situations. However, do not formulate your opinions on others based only on their enneagram type. People are complex and tests cannot cover every aspect of someone’s personality.

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!