timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things to Do Now to Make Back-to-School Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I always end up rushing at the last minute when it comes to moving back to my university city. No matter the rush, we can always make things just a bit easier on ourselves by getting organized in the weeks before the move! With some time left before classes go back into session, here are my best tips to plan ahead and make this back-to-school the best yet.

Make lists of everything you need

One time, I forgot bras on a two-week trip with no laundry machine. You bet I wish I’d made a list beforehand! Don’t ever think you’ll remember something important (like toothpaste or toilet paper) because you WILL forget it when you’re rushing. 

Switch your addresses 

If you still have your magazine subscriptions going to your apartment from last year, now’s the time to change your billing and shipping addresses. Nothing is worse than making an online order and accidentally shipping it to your old address — except maybe missing your hydro bill of the month!

Email your professors

Even if you can’t get a syllabus until the first day of your course, most professors will be more than happy to send you a booklist. If you can get ahead on your reading, or at least just buy your books before the big rush, you’ll be super prepared when lectures actually begin. 

Contact your roommates 

Do you really need three kettles? I doubt it, but that’s what will happen if you don’t talk about who is bringing what to your new accommodation. If you don’t know the people you’ll be living with, try looking at Facebook groups or contacting your landlord for their information. 

Prepare a planner

Whether you’re into bullet journaling or you want something a bit less intensive, you will not have time to make it pretty or write in all your friends’ birthdays once classes start. Take the time in August to make your planner yours so you only have to fill in assignment dates later. 

Message the clubs you want to join

Isn’t it better to know now that your two top clubs meet on the same night? Some clubs (like HerCampus at WLU!) have deadlines to join, and it’s better to know any important dates before it’s too late. On top of that, executive positions always look better on a resume, and if you message early, your application will stand out. 

Take care of your body

Enjoy your sleep while you can and eat a vegetable or two. We all have those only-mac-and-cheese-and-coffee days during the school year, so try to keep yourself strong. Hopefully you’ll even avoid the freshers’ flu if you do! 

Good luck with your back to school, collegiettes!

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.