This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you are someone with goals, aspirations and the drive to be a successful person, both professionally and in your personal life, then you have probably heard of the term “girl-boss.” The term itself was coined by Sophia Amaruso, the founder of Nasty Gal who dropped out of school and started her own clothing company online which has continued to grow ever since.

A girl-boss can be defined as someone who takes control of her own life, someone who gets what she wants because she works hard for it. She is someone who is empowering and inspiring to others. She knows her worth and will not accept anything less than what she deserves.

I’ve listed four essential habits to adopt to gain that girl-boss mentality and kick ass at whatever you do:

1. Waking up and going to bed early

I know it can be hard to do sometimes, but the goal is mainly getting enough sleep. Sleep is the key component in being productive and preparing for the day ahead. Getting enough sleep the night before helps you get more done throughout the day because you’re alert and mindful and can essentially be more productive in whatever you’re doing. Also, don’t forget to eat a good breakfast because otherwise you’ll be hangry and nobody wants to work with a hangry person first thing in the morning!

2. Fight the urge to procrastinate

Procrastination literally sucks the productivity out of your life. We’re all guilty of it. There are ways to combat procrastination and they can be as simple as keeping a positive attitude. A negative attitude and fear of failing can be crippling, preventing you from doing your best. Try using your timer on your phone; set a timer for an hour where you can do some uninterrupted work and give yourself breaks in between hours. It can help and the breaks give you something to look forward to!

3. Love to learn

This involves seeing anything in life as a chance to learn. It means changing your perspective and viewing something that may come across as negative as something to learn from instead. Being a girl-boss means taking an experience and learning something new from it. It means taking “why did I do this?” and turning it into “what did I learn from this?”

4. Being aware of imperfection but building on your flaws anyway

Nobody’s perfect, we know this to be true. Being a girl-boss means being aware that you’re not perfect and learning from your mistakes despite it. In saying this, I simply mean taking a look at your experiences, self-correcting and trying to do better next time. Stop putting pressure on yourself to be perfect and tell the voice in your head that keeps putting you down to zip it. Being a girl-boss means persevering even when you’re afraid of failure.

I know it can be hard to break bad habits and to adopt ones that will be beneficial to you, but these few are only the stepping-stones. Start small, work your way up and you will get there. When you get to the top, that’s when you will be able to see how far you’ve come and until then, it’s going to be one heck of a climb so you might as well make the most of it and learn as much as you can along the way. You’ve got this, girl-boss!

Giulia Orsino

Wilfrid Laurier '21

3rd year History and English student who can usually be found eating pasta, napping, binge-watching Friends and snuggling with the cat.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her