10 Favourite Ways to De-stress During Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

October is a time of falling leaves, blanket scarves, pumpkin-flavored everything, Thanksgiving, Halloween costumes… and midterms. Midterm season can get extremely hectic and stressful, and sometimes it can be especially hard to calm down and clear your head. As important as it is to study and work hard for midterms, it’s just as important to make time for some R&R!

Here are our top 10 favourite ways to de-stress during midterm season:

1.  Get Organized

As simple and straightforward as this sounds, it really helps to clear your mind by writing down all of your ‘to-dos’ somewhere that you will see every day. Colour-coding your agenda and calendar can make you feel super productive in a fun way, and can even help motivate you when it comes to facing your tasks.

2.  Work It Out

Nothing relieves stress like a powerhouse workout. If those midterms are really getting to your head, a great workout will release endorphins in your body, which will naturally cheer you up. It’s a win-win situation, so get your booty moving!

3. Take a Bath

Baths are a miracle-worker for stress. If you want to take your bath to another level of relaxation and fun, check out Lush Bath Bombs. They are filled with essential oils, flower petals, and explode with fizz once you place them in water.  While you’re there, pick up a rejuvenating facemask and turn your bath into a full-blown spa night!

4. Adult Colouring Books

Okay, I know it sounds strange, but colouring books are back and better than ever. They are no longer limited to kindergarteners, rather they are considered a new form of meditation for adults. Any of your nearby bookstores will probably have a few options, so don’t hesitate to pick one up next time you’re feeling stressed out!

5. Talking to Friends

Sometimes all you need to do is talk it out. It’s a great feeling knowing that you have a group of friends that have your back whenever you need it. There’s no one who understands you more than your best friends, so you can never go wrong by having some heart-to-hearts when in time of need.

6. Baking or Cooking

This will never get old since you can never run out of new recipes to try. Or, it never hurts to just whip up your favourite home-cooked meal for a little comfort food. The best part about getting your mind off of school by making a tasty meal is that you get to eat it after. Talk about having your cake and eating it too!

7. Having a Glass of Wine

… Or a bottle. This one is self-explanatory.

8. Retail Therapy

As girls, we all know that there’s nothing a little shopping can’t cure. To make things even easier, you can do it all from the comfort of your home by online shopping. If you’re not feeling too confident going into your next midterm, at least you can look cute in your newest purchase!

9. Jam Out

Good music can heal anything and everything. Put on some big headphones, your favourite playlist, and let the rest take care of itself. Your mind will be at ease even if you do this while you’re studying.

10. Getting a Good Rest

Last, but most definitely not least, a good night’s rest can do wonders. Make sure to get enough sleep on nights during a study grind and especially the night before a midterm. I think we’ve all tried to pull the all-nighter once or twice, and I can’t stress enough how much more important it is to sleep. Your body will thank you and so will your grades!

Of course, too much relaxation time won’t do any good, but it’s definitely important in the midst of a heavy workload. Make sure you work hard, take meaningful breaks, and keep your mind focused. Good luck to everyone this midterm season!

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem