Recipes For The Healthy and Hungry Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Freshman 15 getting you down? Looking for new easy and healthy recipes? Fresh, yummy and healthy are the three keywords to these recipes. Help us help you with a full meal coverage to help start your health kick.

Quick and easy recipes

Breakfast

Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal

1/3 cup of large natural oats

½ cup of water

1 banana

1 tablespoon of organic crunchy peanut butter

Add both 1/3 cup of natural oats and ½ cup of water in pot. Heat up oatmeal on the stove at a high flame for five minutes. Pour heated oatmeal into a bowl. Take one tablespoon of crunchy organic peanut butter and mix it fully into the hot oatmeal until fully off the spoon. Slice up a whole banana on top of the oatmeal, mix so you have a bite of banana with every spoonful and you’re ready to eat!

Pair this up with a warm cup of coffee for extra taste.

Lunch

Avocado Toast

1 ripe avocado

2 pieces of multigrain rye toast

Pinch of salt & pepper

Toast two small pieces of multigrain rye toast. Cut avocado in half. Using a knife, cut avocado into square pieces. Use one half of avocado to one piece of toast. Spread avocado on the toast, add salt and pepper to taste.

Not enough food? Add a fried egg on top of each avocado toast.

Dinner

Chicken, Veggies & Sweet Potato

1 piece of boneless chicken breast

2 handfuls of veggies of your choice (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, peppers etc.)

Half a sweet potato cubed

1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil

Pinch of salt and pepper

Pinch of garlic powder

This meal is easy, healthy and covers all the food groups. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Celsius. Cut and cube half a sweet potato. On a flat pan with parchment paper lay out chicken, veggies and sweet potato. On all food items use one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well until all food items are visibly covered. Add pinch of garlic powder to chicken breast. Set timer for 15 minutes, flip chicken and mix the veggies. Then set the timer for another 20 minutes. To ensure chicken is fully cooked cut through the thickest part and it should be all white.

Recipes that require a little more work

Breakfast

Sweet Potato Skillet

1 small sweet potato

1 handful of broccoli (or any vegetable you prefer)

Half an onion diced

2 eggs

1 tablespoon of olive oil

Cheddar cheese (however much you prefer)

Shred a small sweet potato onto a plate. Cut up half an onion, broccoli (or any veggie you prefer). Caramelize onions on heated pan with a tablespoon of olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper. While the onions are grilling using paper towel dry out the sweet potato until there is no more excess juice on the paper towel. Add in any veggies you prefer to the pan. Once the veggies are a little crispy add in the sweet potato. Add salt and pepper to taste. Every few minutes flip the sweet potato so it gets crispy but doesn’t burn. Once fully cooked, shred however much cheese you prefer until it’s melted. Put the sweet potato and veggies on separate plate. Fry two eggs on the pan until made to over easy. Put fried eggs on top of skillet and it’s ready to eat!

Lunch

Loaded Veggie Salad

1 bunch of romaine lettuce

6 cherry tomatoes

1 baby cucumber

1 tablespoon of goat cheese

1 tablespoon of dried organic cranberries

1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

Cut up lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber. Add goat cheese and dried cranberries to top. Mix well. Mix one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar – mix into salad.

Dinner

Noodle-less Zucchini Lasagna

2 large zucchinis

1 pound ground beef

1 onion, diced

1 carrot, diced

1 can tomato sauce

1 egg

1 container low fat ricotta cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 package frozen chopped spinach

Shredded mozzarella cheese

Grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 325 degrees celsius. Slice zucchini into thin length slices and place across the bottom of a deep baking pan. Cook the ground beef in a large pan with sliced up onions and carrots salt and pepper, until meat turns brown. While meat is cooking, spread one layer of tomato sauce across the zucchini. In a bowl mix ricotta cheese, frozen spinach, and one egg until well blended. Put one layer of meat on top of tomato sauce then one layer of cheese mixture. Next put another row of zucchini on top, add another layer of tomato sauce, meat, and cheese mixture. Add one more layer of zucchini. On top of zucchini put tomato sauce and as much mozzarella and parmesan cheese as you want. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top for taste. Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake for 45 minutes. Raise oven temperature to a broil for 10 minutes. Let stand for five minutes before serving.

Jess is a current student at The University of Western Ontario in her third year majoring in media information and technoculture. She is an aspiring writer who loves to travel and loves her dog Teddy.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.