This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

While the difference between December 31, 2018, and January 1, 2019 might just be a measly 24 hours, counting down these hours leads to the beginning of a whole new year. That’s 365 days, 8,760 hours and 525,600 minutes.

With a new year comes new goals, ones you may or may not meet. So, what to do first? Set some goals!

By setting goals, you’ll have something to aim for and to work towards. There are so many types of goals to set, whether they’re related to education, your lifestyle or your social life. The best part is, there’s no limit to the number of paths you can take.

Education-related goals can be as simple as the words “learn new course content,” “attain a certain average,” “get a job” or “graduate.” These goals can range from being short-term (attending a lecture) or being long-term ones (graduating with a degree). In your personal life, you might have plans to go to the gym consistently or enhance your current skills. Perhaps you want to travel to another country or get some “me” time.

All these goals, no matter how big or small, are ones you can set for yourself. There are, of course, thousands of other potential goals, including ones pertaining to your social life. Meeting new people, spending more time with friends, or attending celebrations and events—these all sound like things people do every day. But nowadays, with everyone being so busy, it can be especially helpful to set aside time to try to achieve these life goals.

While these goals are only examples, the ones you choose should be unique to yourself and be ones you wish to pursue. Don’t be pressured to follow the latest trends or do what all your friends do! Be true to you or you might find it a lot more difficult to achieve what you desire. After all, if your heart isn’t in it, then you won’t be pushing towards it.

It might seem overwhelming to set so many goals, but remember that all of them vary: from big to small, long-term to short-term. Writing them down or telling a friend might motivate you to work towards it. Add a reward to push you further or perhaps the mere idea of meeting your goal is rewarding in itself for you.

Just remember: you don’t need to achieve all your goals in one year—it could take you years or decades! The most important part is the progress you made. Whether it is all the people you’ve met, the steps you took, and the mistakes you learned from.

Because, ultimately, it’s not about the destination, but the journey.