This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Her Campus Western, Meet The Editor, Portrait, Editor Photo, Danielle Solo
Becca Berri

THE BASICS 

Name: Danielle Solo 

Nicknames: I used to go by Dani but now I’ll introduce myself as Solo—especially in creative spaces. 

Position: Junior Editor 

Age: 22 

Program: Double Honours Specialization in Creative Writing and English Literature and a Minor in Ethics.  

Hometown: I’m from Grimsby but London, England has always felt like home.  

FAST FAVES 

Favourite novel1984 by George Orwell. I read it when I was 13, and it changed my life. It was the first book that I felt reflected the world I was living in. I became obsessed with dystopia and criticism of contemporary society as a result… Nearly a decade later, I still bring up 1984 at every possible opportunity. I’m planning on doing a PhD in modernist dystopia because of it.

Favourite Halloween candy: M&M’s. I’ve always been more of a chocolate person. 

Favourite writing implement: I have this quill pen I got while studying in England. I use it with gold ink. I also have a 1921 Remington Rand that’s been my constant companion for lengthier projects.

Favourite season: I love winter. There’s something about seeing the world all frozen… It’s beautiful, haunting, timeless. 

Favourite beverage: Non-alcoholic would definitely be lapsang souchong tea. My partner always says it tastes like a battlefield. If we’re drinking? gin, scotch or red wine—all in that order. 

General Qs 

What kind of household appliance would you be?

I would be one of those home espresso machines, like the ones that look like they’ve been ripped out of a Starbucks. Anyone that knows me knows that everything in my life needs to be aesthetically pleasing—I live by the philosophy that everything in your life must be art. That includes latte art, different flavour combinations… Plus I just drink way too much coffee. I’m talking a full pot every morning to start.

What is your life’s soundtrack?

I’m the kind of person who listens to a bit of everything. I love the Mountain Goats because their sound is very down to earth. Their older stuff was recorded and released as soon as possible. It’s very homemade, filled with an urgency to create… they give themselves the opportunity to make mistakes, which you don’t see with many “polished” musical artists. I’m quite fond of their concept albums. They deal with a lot of difficult emotions and subject matter. 

Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

I’m the kind of person who tries not to make idols out of people I admire—they’ll usually let you down. You know the phrase “never meet your heroes?” It’s completely true. If I had to choose someone, it would be my partner. He’s the strongest person I know, and I’m in awe of him every day. We have a lot of similar trauma—he knows when to push me and when to give me my space. We drive each other to grow into the best versions of ourselves. I’m really grateful for that. 

Would you rather fight a horse-sized duck or a 10 duck-sized horses? 

I’d fight a horse sized duck because I’m not a coward. 

How did you get involved with HerCampus?

I met one of the senior staff members (Maggie Gautier) in 3rd year and we became fast friends. During one of our group project sessions at the Spoke, I noticed the HCW stickers on her laptop. She immediately encouraged me to join—it gave me the opportunity to write about anything, and its publications would look great on a resume. In other words, I’d be stupid not to join. 

What has your experience been like in HCW?

It’s been refreshing. Western is a school with a large party culture which I never really fit into. I’ve never really been a social person—I tend to be an introvert, and you have to chase me—but I always find myself looking forward to HCW events. It’s one of the few times my workaholic ass can actually relax—I’m so grateful to be a part of a group of women who are laid back but also at my maturity level.

If you could experience any historical event, which would you choose? 

That’s a tough one. I’d honestly love to go to Paris in the 1920s and attend a speakeasy or visit a jazz club. I don’t think I’d like to witness any sort of large event—that in itself would be stressful. I’d put way too much pressure on myself, and I don’t think I’d learn enough. I’d much rather just soak up the culture and way of life of another time, having some fun while I’m at it.