stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

LUSH: What’s worth it and what’s not?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It’s not a lie that at some point we all fell in love with the store LUSH. Whether it was the invigorating scents or the good morals behind the brand, we had a reason to dish out our coins to this store. Since I became somewhat of a LUSH addict myself, here’s a short but helpful list of products I love and hate.

WORTH IT: Products you should definitely check out!

1. Mask of Magnaminty $14.95-39.95 CAD

LUSH offers a wide range of face masks but my favourite by far has to be the Mask of Magnaminty. It’s a vibrant green colour like those face masks from ‘90s films and it smells like mint chocolate chip. It’s great for exfoliating the skin or getting rid of any unwanted dirt and oil. Perfect for acne prone skin!

2. Whoosh Shower Jelly $8.95-15.95 CAD

Shower jellies are something new and unexpected compared to the classic body wash or bar soap. You can either wash with the entire jelly or pinch off a piece and massage it into a loofa. This one in particular smells like citrus with a blend of lemon, lime and grapefruit juices. My favourite thing about them is that they last a super long time so they’re definitely worth it!

3. Charity Pot Body Lotion $7.95-27.95 CAD

Like the name suggests, this product is meant for charity. 100 percent of the profits made from this product go to charities such as wildlife foundations or organizations fighting climate change. It has a light floral and shea butter scent but isn’t super overpowering so if you aren’t a fan of strong scents it will still work for you.

4. Coalface cleansing bar $14.95/100g

This is ideal if you have oily skin because it provides a nice deep clean. I like using it in the summer especially when it gets super hot. I find that cleansing bars last a lot longer than liquid cleansers—and they’re packaging free!

5. Smuggler’s Soul Perfume $59.95-119.95  

I’m a huge fan of warm, rustic scents and Smuggler’s Soul is just that. LUSH’s perfumes are a bit pricey but I find that they last really well throughout the day. If you’re not a fan of woody scents like Smuggler’s Soul, there’s bunch of others to choose from.

NOT WORTH IT: Products that you can save your money by staying away from

6. Shampoo Bars $11.95 CAD (Approx.)

Some people love them and some people hate them. I just happen to be one of those people that hate them. LUSH claims that one bar will last up to 80 washes but mine fell apart right after four. I also found that the scent doesn’t seem to linger in my hair which I like in a shampoo. It also didn’t leave my hair feeling particularly clean either. However, I like how they are packaging free so it’s better for the environment and they seem like a dream to travel with.

7. Damaged Hot Oil Treatment $10.95 CAD

I bought one of these when my hair was feeling super dry and it looked like something fun to test out. Turns out it wasn’t. These take a long time to melt and don’t spread that easily in your hair. It also made my hair feel super sticky and it took about 2 washes to get all of the product out. I only tried the old version of this product and recently LUSH reformulated it, but honestly, I’m not willing to give it another try.

8. Big Solid Conditioner $12.95 CAD

I seem to only have problems with LUSH hair products, but like the solid shampoo this one was a no-go for me as well. You’re supposed to wet the product and then run it through your hair. Turns out it was difficult to get any product off the bar at all.

9. Love and Light Hand Cream $19.95 CAD

THIS STUFF SMELLS TERRIBLE. It’s a good hand cream in the sense that it’s super moisturizing and leaves your hands feeling soft, but I can’t get over how bad the scent is. It’s described to smell like Brazilian orange, orange blossom, and neroli (all scents that sound amazing) but it’s just too overpowering for my liking.

10. Just to Clarify Jelly Mask $13.95 CAD

I’m a huge fan of face masks in general and I was super excited when LUSH announced that they were releasing Jelly Masks. It wasn’t terrible but I didn’t love it either. I found that it was difficult to spread around my face and I didn’t really notice it doing anything.

So there you go! Next time you head into LUSH keep an eye out for those products that I love or see what you think of the products that let me down. LUSH is a brand that I always see myself coming back to because they always come out with super interesting products and I love their message against animal testing. See what you think is worth it and what’s not.