Western Powderpuff: A Broken Stereotype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

A quick Google search of the term ‘powderpuff’ calls up a Wikipedia page stating, among other things, that it is a term “used as a stereotype image for soft, careless femininity.” The women of Western’s Powderpuff Football team are more than just soft and carelessly feminine; in fact, the women on this team are just as tough and determined as the players on any other sports team.

‘Powderpuff football’ has historically been used to describe women’s football games, using the term ‘powderpuff’ to ensure spectators know that it’s not real football that’s being played, just a comic female parody. After all, American football is a sport requiring strength and grit, qualities that women are biologically incapable of possessing… right? Wrong. And yet, despite the stigma, women have insisted upon playing the game with as much strength and grit as can be mustered—leagues and teams at all levels of play exist behind the scenes. The term powderpuff football has evolved into a movement, a descriptor of teams of women who are not only soft and carelessly feminine, but also tough and driven to play a sport they love.

This is most definitely true for the ladies of Western’s powderpuff team. The team receives no support from the university and is completely self-funded, a fact that some of the girls find unfair given the large sports budget Western holds. The coaches operate on a volunteer basis and each girl contributes to cover the costs of uniforms, field rental, equipment, and referees, with each tournament costing between $400 and $500 total. This cost can act as a barrier to girls who might otherwise want to play, but can’t afford the steep fees.

Outside of funding, the team receives little to no moral support from the school either, with no game promotion or recognition of the team’s successes. This contributes to a lack of awareness within the student body that can be frustrating and can leave the team feeling underappreciated and under-recognized. Brooke Boulerice, a third year Nursing student who is entering her second year with the team, agrees, “We are women playing a popular, male-dominated sport. That being said, I still feel we deserve recognition, to promote that females are just as capable as males when it comes to athletics. This is the highest level of football a girl can play at University…there’s no room for growth or further opportunities.”

Kelsey Shaw, a recent graduate from Kinesiology, adds, “Whenever I tell people I played women’s football they always assume I mean intramurals despite us being a competitive travel team.”

The stigma doesn’t stop there. The rules state that contact is allowed five yards on either side of the line of scrimmage, where a full offensive line and defensive line tackle their hearts out to protect the rest of their team. Even beyond these five yards the sport is quite physical, demanding the ability to hold your ground and, sometimes, take other girls out (as long as the ref isn’t looking). Yet, as Cara Davidson, a second year Health Sciences student, points out, people often assume there is no contact simply because it’s a women’s team. As she so eloquently puts it, “Women can hit too!”

The experience of playing Western Powderpuff is entirely unique, and will connect you with a network of women who are motivated, intelligent, supportive, and proud to display the term ‘powderpuff’. Whether you’re a football expert or barely know a touchdown from a turnover, I highly recommend you come out to the second and final round of tryouts this Sunday, October 1st to meet the team and see how much more we are than a “soft and carelessly feminine” powderpuff. You can find more information on the Facebook page here.

The term ‘powderpuff’ is a broken and tired stereotype, but women across the world have reclaimed the antiquated term and turned it into something new. In my mind, at least, ‘powderpuff’ now designates a group of women who support each other both on and off the field, and who are fighting against the idea that women are somehow limited by their gender. And anyone who believes otherwise is in for a wake-up call.