9 Things You Didn’t Know About Western

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

You may be a first year student and beginning to explore all that Western University has to offer, or you may be a fourth year student who thinks they know everything there is to know. Either way, Western has many tricks up its sleeve that will surprise you. It’s never too late to learn and take advantage of all that Western’s campus has to offer. From the old brick buildings, to the new modern ones with giant windows, Western University’s campus offers a beautiful setting to walk through falling leaves, blankets of snow, or sunny clear sky days. On a map, the campus seems quite large: a 20-minute walk from the front gates to the main University Community Centre, and another 10 minutes west to the Recreation Centre. However, it’s the tightly knit group of individuals that walk, live and study throughout Western’s campus that create the comforting community atmosphere. From finding the shortest coffee lines to shortcuts, underground tunnels and more, here are nine things you didn’t know about Western:

1. Libraries

One of the most important aspects of any university experience is where you are going to study for the next four years. The library of your choosing determines what food you have access to, how quiet you want your study environment to be, and if you like to sit at group tables or single desks. Western’s main campus has eight libraries, not including ones at the three affiliated colleges. Choose your spot and stick with it. The most popular libraries are the D.B Weldon Library and the Allyn & Betty Taylor Library, both located on main campus.

2. Wi-Fi

Western’s campus has Wi-Fi in every single building. Connecting to Western’s Wi-Fi has never been easier. Your UWO username and password is used to log into the Wi-Fi and can be connected on all devices such as your laptop, cellphone, iPad and more. The Wi-Fi connection works all over campus, including residences, cafeterias, all school buildings, affiliated colleges, the recreation centre, and even University Hospital. You no longer need to worry about exceeding your data plan. Trust me, your parents will thank me for this tip.

3. Underground Tunnels

Winter is coming. Yes, the Game of Thrones pun was intended, and everyone knows that winter in London is not always enjoyable. Walking through campus becomes a challenge when there’s snow to trudge through and it’s dark outside by 5PM. Fret no more! Western has many secret underground tunnels to help you get from building to building without even stepping outside. Be careful though, some tunnels can be a bit of a maze!

4. Student Card Hacks

Your student card isn’t just any student card. It acts as your piece of identification for exams; is used as your bus pass, gym membership, library card, and meal plan card; and it can even be used on vending machines around campus. The use of your student card is news that most students are well aware of, but what you didn’t know is that you can continuously top up your meal plan after first year and use it at all the campus eateries, including restaurants and food vendors at the UCC. By using your student card you save 10% on all food purchases.

5. Poster Sale

The beginning of each school year brings new classes, new school supplies, new professors, and new posters. Within the first few months of school there is a poster sale located in the main University Community Centre. Don’t worry about decorating your room beforehand, as Imaginus Posters has got you covered with their large variety of posters to choose from.

6. Shuttle Busses

Taking courses at affiliated colleges such as Huron, Brescia, or Kings has never been easier. Need a ride? Western has you covered. There are shuttle busses that stop at all three schools, go directly from one school to another and back. Be careful though, the bus only runs every 20-30 minutes so you don’t want to miss it.

7. The Rec Centre

The rec centre is one of the best buildings on campus because of all it offers. It has a large workout room, a sports gym, a hockey rink, a swimming pool, and more. Many students think the gym membership is included in your tuition, but it is really just an add on that you can opt out of at any time. However, I wouldn’t suggest doing so. The rec centre also offers group classes at an added cost, which are great for when you’re looking for inspiration for new workouts. The gym may be busy at certain times, so it is best to plan your workout during an “off” time such as 12:20PM when students are usually heading to their next class or going for lunch.

8. Private Study Rooms

Western offers many great services such as the ability to book private study rooms in the library. If you’re someone who needs to study out of the house, but also needs their own space, study rooms are for you. But make sure to book your private study room far in advance as they book up quickly during exam periods! The D.B Weldon library is most accommodating for private rooms for students with disabilities.

9. Coffee Lines

Are you someone who needs a coffee before class, but also doesn’t feel like waiting in a 30-minute line up? The University Community Centre is probably one of the worst places you could go to get a coffee as it is in the centre of campus and is always packed with students. Try the Tim Hortons in the basement of the UCC, the Tim Hortons in Somerville House, or even the Tim Hortons in the Social Science Centre. As you explore Western’s campus, be sure to pay attention to the small eateries with “no name” coffee brands that work just as well to serve your caffeine craving and have a much smaller lineup.

You may not find all these useful in your first year of university, but, over time, you will come to the realization that you need these tips and tricks and you will be constantly adding to the list to share with other Western students.