8 Tips and Tricks to Have The Nap of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Life is busy and, let’s face it, sometimes your body just needs that extra hour of sleep. So why not take a nap? I consider myself a serial napper; whether it’s before work, after school or in the car on the way to any type of event, there is ALWAYS time for a nap.  Whether you’re a wannabe napper or a pro, these eight tips and tricks for taking the perfect nap are for you.

1. Set a Timer or Alarm

A 20- to 25-minute nap is the perfect amount of sleep to feel re-energized and ready to take on the rest of your day. Because you don’t reach the REM stage of a sleep cycle, you will wake up ready to continue with your day instead of feeling groggy.

2.  Schedule Your Nap Wisely

The key to a good nap is being able to make the best of your day afterwards without messing up your sleep schedule for that night. With that in mind, the best time to schedule your nap is in the late morning or early afternoon.

3.  Make the Setting Dark

Whether you are in bed, on the couch, or in the car, making your setting dark you will ensure you are able to fall asleep quicker and stay asleep for the entire nap. Some key things to try include shutting the blinds, shutting the door, or using a super cute sleep mask that you can find on Etsy.

4. Grab Some Lavender

Whether it’s an essential oil, a spray, a lotion, or anything else infused with this calming scent, lavender will keep you calm, and help you to fall asleep with ease.You can find more helpful oils here!

5. Keep the Volume Low

Some people enjoy some white noise while they sleep, while others prefer silence. Whatever your preference is, be sure that the volume stays relatively the same throughout your nap to ensure a solid sleep for that 20-minute period. If you prefer no noise, try earplugs. If you prefer some noise, instead of just leaving Netflix on, try a white noise machine or app that limits the number of loud noises and keeps everything at the same decibel level.

6. Lie Down

Although it’s not always easy to find a spot to fully lay down for a nap, it improves your quality of sleep tremendously. Instead of that awkward car nap, crawl into bed and snuggle up for the best 20 minutes of the day.

7. Caffeine

Although we are often told to stay away from caffeine before sleeping, try having a warm coffee right before you settle down for a 20-minute nap. The caffeine will start to kick in while you sleep, and when you wake up you will feel even more energized.

8. Listen To Your Body

If you feel exhausted or like you need a nap, don’t be ashamed—take the nap! Your body knows what you need, and when you crave sleep it means your body needs some more energy. Take the time to recharge and re-energize.

So there you go, now you can nap like a pro. Just remember, napping is not lazy. Taking that time for some self-care and rejuvenating your body is necessary for living your best life. So go ahead—nap it out and enjoy it because, in the long run, it is only going to make you better for the day ahead! Happy napping, Collegiates!