This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Quarantine laziness . . . sigh. With the current stay-at-home order, university students are at high risk of becoming couch potatoes. Given the challenging circumstances of a global pandemic, or just the stress of a heavy workload, becoming a couch potato is totally acceptable. We all deserve to binge-watch every rom-com on Netflix at night (or just straight through the last 10 months if necessary, no judgement). We’ve heard it time and time again on the news that staying active is a crucial way to keep our mental health a-float.  On that note, below are my most favourite lazy workouts gifted to you! 

Now, if I was reading this, would I do them? Perhaps not, but maybe in our mutual desire for motionlessness, these videos can be the blanket of exercise we need.  Perfect for when you just want to get your body moving for low-sweat and high-chill times.

1. Restorative Workout 

Barre3 workouts make me feel like a professional exerciser. Put on those leggings, and you become a fitness queen. This workout is basically like a warm glass of milk.  If you like deep breaths, mindfulness and stretching, this one’s for you. I promise that studying will feel so much lighter after supporting your mind with a time to rest in this light workout. 

2. Cardio Workout 

Another Barre3 workout (fangirling), and this time c-a-r-d-i-o. Cardio, cardio, cardio: you tricky thing. This workout is that cold slap of water on the face after a nap. I know I said these workouts were lazy. This one just relies on a little more sweat. If you can only do half of it, then that’s cool! The instructor makes sure to modify every exercise too. You got it, killer.

3. Yoga

One of the nicest feelings is stretching those achy bones after sitting in a desk chair all day, and this one is the much needed extra spice for that. Something lovely about yoga is that some practices just involve staying close to the ground. This therapeutic practice will allow you to indulge in laying down while getting in a full-body stretch. It is important to note that yoga originates in cultures that focus on mindfulness, perfect for stressed out university students who need to keep their minds at ease. 

Let’s admit, we have become couch potatoes during this pandemic. But hey, potatoes make french fries… and they’re delicious! Let us be easy on ourselves and take light strides in relaxed workouts to support our hard-working brains through these hazy days. Try one out – I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.