What Happens to My Body When I Drink a Smoothie Every Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Not only are smoothies super delicious, but they have so many beneficial ingredients like frozen fruits, yogurt, veggies, and almond milk that are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other good stuff. I want to reveal what happened to my body after drinking a smoothie a day as part of my breakfast for two months.

First, what I put in my favourite smoothie every morning is 1/3 cup of almond milk, 1 banana, 1 cup mixed berries, 1/4 cup of protein powder, 1/4 of chia seeds or flax seeds, 2 ice cubes (sometimes a handful of spinach and 1/3 oatmeal). When I don’t have enough time to drink it at home, I will carry it in a mason jar (I got mine from a marinara sauce jar), which is super easy to find. Side note: protein powder makes my smoothies fluffy and creamy, which I absolutely love!

1. Drinking my ultimate smoothie gives me way more energy than other breakfast options like bacon and eggs or peanut butter and toast. It’s filled with better, less processed sugar and carbs that fills up our stomachs for a longer period of time. It also fills in the nutrients that our body needs each day, which allow us to focus better, be more organized, be less tired and be more alert!

2. I feel lighter around my stomach area and a difference in my weight. If we are constantly eating greasy and carb dense foods for breakfast, it will strain our energy levels and probably make us feel more bloated because it is harder to digest. So, try to avoid foods like bacon, white toast, butter and cheese for breakfast!

3. I find it easier to be active and the routine motivates me to go to the gym frequently. It is because I have higher energy levels, which results in higher motivation to accomplish more things.

4. It makes me feel like I have my sh*t together. As a university student, I am constantly stressed about exams, essays, midterms, and time management in general plus other personal issues. Drinking a smoothie each morning provides me a lot more energy for me to deal with life. It also allows me to make better and positive decisions as well as being motivated for the rest of the day!

5. Not going to sound cheesy, but it makes me feel prettier inside and out. Having a smoothie every morning feels like it makes a better impact on my skin because it improves my digestion, therefore avoiding breakouts, while removing the toxins in my body. It makes my skin and hair glow because it’s packed with vitamins, minerals and also a great detox. Furthermore, whenever I bring a smoothie to class or in public, I always feel somewhat trendy because it’s in a mason jar with a wonderful soft purple colour. If you are a basic girl, you would probably love the idea of a smoothie in a mason jar.

6. The routine allows me to feel in control of my healthy eating habits. Once it becomes a routine, it becomes harder to break. It will be hard to keep up in the beginning, but within a couple of weeks, it will become a habit that you yourself can control. As a result, you will feel empowered.

7. It reduces my cravings for sugar and unnecessary carbs! Ever since my routine started, I rarely have cravings for sweets during the day, and it fills me up for a longer period of time. Before my routine started, I had a tendency to always crave sweets, but now since I am more in control with my eating habits, I stopped the unnecessary cravings. In addition, I realized that desserts are sweeter than before, which means you can reduce your sugar intake.

6. A smoothie a day makes me feel happier, healthy and less grumpy than before. It is because the nutrients boosts our immune system supporting our body to fight off infections and illnesses, which triggers us to feel stronger and happier.

A fourth year Western student double majoring in MIT and Visual Arts who has a voice to contribute her beliefs and attitudes through writing. A lover for animals, Cafe Americanos, fashion, Ed Sheeran, and casually enjoy dancing in her room to the funkiest pop replays.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.