free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Laura Watson, Awake Chocolate Rep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Age: 19

Year: 2

Program: BMOS Accounting

Hometown: Oakville

How did you get involved with Awake Chocolate?

I was looking at getting a part-time job that gave me flexible hours, and I had heard great things about Campus Ambassador positions. I really ended up stumbling across Awake one day, I saw that they were hiring and I had heard about and tried their product before and thought it was a really cool company! I figured why not apply and see what happens! I ended up getting the position, and I absolutely love working for the company, it’s a great brand and I make a surprising amount of friends simply by giving out free chocolate samples!

What is your favorite thing about working with Awake?

My favourite thing about working for Awake is how involved all of the staff is at the company. I’m constantly talking with their Marketing Manager and even one of the Founders about how the product is selling at Western and any feedback I’m hearing. I think that it is really amazing to see a company genuinely care so much about their product and even their ambassadors. Nevil (Awake’s Owl Mascot) has a strange, but amazing way of connecting everyone!

What are you hoping to do with your degree? 

Ultimately my goal is to get my accounting designation (CPA) and eventually my CFA which is the Chartered Financial Analyst designation. With these, I hope to work somewhere in finance, however I have yet to decide what industry.

If you could be any dog breed, what would you be?

That’s easy, I’d be a golden retriever. Mostly just because they are my favourite dog and are so adorable!

What is the most important/your favorite life lesson you have learned?

I think the most important life lesson I’ve learned has been that there is always another way to get to your end goal. If you first plan doesn’t work, don’t get discouraged, but find another way to reach that goal. My mom has instilled this in me for as long as I can remember, and it has been something that I continuously reflect on in university. Sometimes you need to drop a course, or you do bad on a test, but don’t let those things discourage you from achieving your potential. I’ve found this to hold true in almost everything I’ve done since being at university, and it helps me to not stress about small things.

What has been your favorite experience/opportunity in college thus far?

My favourite opportunity thus far has been being a part of the Mental Health Project at King’s. The project is all about breaking down the stigma of mental health, and creating a conversation with grade 12 students. As a volunteer, we go into local high schools and do a series of presentations throughout the year. We talk to grade 12 students about our transitions out of high school, and  how to cope with and balance stress. Being a part of the project, you really see students take so much out of these presentations, and you realize how important it is to talk openly about mental health.  

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?

Teleportation. It feels like I’m always driving, whether it’s home to Oakville or running errands. Being able to teleport would just save me so much time!  

Current beauty trend you are here for?

Anyone who knows me well will say eyebrows. I’m obsessed with doing my eyebrows, and I barely ever leave the house without them done.

Where is the best or most recent place you have travelled?

Last summer I travelled Europe for a month with my family, and I saw so many beautiful countries. I think Amsterdam was my favourite place we went on the trip. I’m really into photography, and being surrounded by such rich history and interesting people gave me the opportunity to take some of my best photos there.

Huge thanks to Laura for providing the HCWO team with Awake Chocolate! 

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.