7 Things University Students Look Forward to When Returning to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

1. Friends

University is all about making new friends. The only downside is that people come to different universities from all around the world, making it very difficult to see each other during winter and summer breaks. So, one of the best parts of returning to school is reuniting with all your friends who live elsewhere!

2. Independence

For many people, going away to university is their first experience living away from home. This ultimately leads to independence: you get to buy the groceries that you want, you get to make your way to campus alone, and you get to decorate your own res/house. Being independent is one of the best experiences university can give you.

3. New Classes

Ending each school year means you never have to take that same class again. New school year, new classes! One of the most exciting parts of beginning the school year is making sure you have the perfect schedule with perfect classes and perfect professors. As you get into the later years of university, classes become more specific and really begin to grasp exactly what you are interested in.

4. Routine

Summer months sometimes become a little too free; everyone needs to get back into the swing of things at some point, and and the best way to do that is by going back to school! Getting back into a routine is quite easy in university. You get to make your own schedule, meaning you can budget your own time each week.

5. Syllabus Week

The first week of school is one of the best weeks of the year. It is meant for catching up with friends, for figuring out where your classes are, and for partying. If you are living in residence, you have scheduled events with your frosh leaders all week. If you are living off campus, every night is a party. However, don’t forget to grab your bus pass and textbooks during this first week!

6. Back to School Shopping

Who doesn’t love back to school shopping? New season means new wardrobe! Say  goodbye to summer clothing and hello to fall clothing. Don’t forget to stock up on purple before Western’s big homecoming game to show your school spirit!

7. Returning Home

Ultimately, the best part of going back to school is when you return home. There’s no place like home, and going away for university really makes you appreciate it!

Jess is a current student at The University of Western Ontario in her third year majoring in media information and technoculture. She is an aspiring writer who loves to travel and loves her dog Teddy.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.