This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Since I was around 12 years old, I struggled with acne. I had experienced horrible pain, scarring, and insecurity all because of my acne. As a preteen, I felt dirty because no matter how well or often I washed my face, the acne kept getting worse. When I discussed this issue with my parents, they both shared how they had painful acne when they were younger, and that I would grow out of it like they did.

I spent countless hours during my middle and high school years researching home remedies, how to get rid of pimples overnight, and how to be beautiful. This search was detrimental to my mental health and my confidence. I was already a chunky kid, so having my skin be filled with imperfections was not great. My parents decided that I’ve struggled for a few years and it was time to bring me to a dermatologist. They checked my skin and used all kinds of big words to describe my red blotchy skin. They prescribed me with topical creams that were made to completely dry out my skin. After a few weeks of using it, my skin got progressively worse and flaky, plummeting any self confidence I had.

My friends watched me struggle from afar. They would never understand what it was like to have a face full of painful bumps. When they talked about their skin imperfections, it was only about one singular pimple or acne scar. I felt completely isolated with my experiences. 

“I felt completely isolated with my experiences”

It wasn’t until I got to college when I began to embrace my skin imperfections through lots of self reflection and confidence work within myself. Pimples don’t define my beauty. Neither do my acne scars, skin texture, blackheads, etc. I am completely beautiful no matter how my skin looks. I learned how to take care of my skin and I have carefully curated my skin care routine so that my skin remains healthy, which does not mean free of acne. 

The media glamorizes acne, with influencers posting and discussing their struggles with their skin. We have also seen a rise of people wearing pimple patches throughout their day. Celebrities, like Justin Bieber, have also commented on this movement by posting bare face selfies, claiming that “pimples are in.” Paparazzi has spotted Bieber rocking star pimple patches made by the company Starface. Starface patches are now being popularized due to their star shape and multiple different colors and sizes. Bieber is not the only celebrity sporting the acne patch look with Hailey Bieber, Florence Pugh, and Nicola Peltz. Now more than ever, skin imperfections are being normalized in the media, along with acne care and skin care in general. 

Although I wish that the acne positivity movement started earlier in my skin journey, I am happy to see skin imperfections celebrated in the media and in everyday life. Acne does not equal dirty skin. Acne is caused by so many factors other than just skin care. Stress, hormones, and genetics all contribute to skin’s look. No longer do I allow my skin imperfections define me, rather I am beautiful with active pimples or acne scarring.

Social media and influencers have been making an impact when it comes to skin imperfections. Before when breakouts and acne would be seen as dirty, they are now normalized. Acne is a normal part of the skin’s development. Celebrities, influencers, and even the people around us have all experienced skin insecurities and breakouts. With age, my acne has begun to diminish, but my acne scarring will forever stick with me. Acne is beautiful and so are those who struggle with acne or any other skin imperfections. The media understands our skin’s beauty, celebrities embrace these imperfections, what will you do?

Shannon Byrnes

West Chester '26

Hi, my name is Shannon Byrnes, and a writer for Her Campus at West Chester University. I am a Communication major with a minor in Professional and Technical Writing. I am currently a sophomore at West Chester University and love house plants and going on nature walks. In my free time I sing, play music, and listen to music as well as journaling and writing. I also love to grab an iced coffee, thrift, and explore with my friends! Cows are my favorite animal.