HC Homepage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
HC Homepage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Seasonal Depression; Ways To Manage And Reduce Effects!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

As we begin the journey into the colder months, a lot of people start to deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder, otherwise known as Seasonal Depression. The days get shorter, the weather gets colder, the plants lose their leaves and everything becomes more barren. This can cause feelings of sadness or depression, loss of interest in usual activities, lack of energy, oversleeping… The list goes on. This is something that I personally deal with, and speaking from experience, it can be really hard to get yourself out of the funk if you don’t catch it quick enough, especially being deep into the fall semester when studies start to pick up. That’s why I wanted to share some tips and tricks to help anyone who struggles with this issue! 

The first thing I wanted to talk about is joining clubs and staying involved on campus. I know that this time last year, I wasn’t involved enough and that definitely fed the depression. After all, I had nothing to do and had no reason to leave the room besides going to class and eating. It can be scary to join a group – especially if you don’t know the people involved – but I promise the benefits outweigh the potential fear when you first join. People are a lot nicer than you’d think, and especially when it comes to clubs, they are very welcoming. It doesn’t even have to be something that takes too much time or energy, even just a club that meets once a week to talk about your interests- such as the astronomy club or oceanography club here at West Chester. If you’re looking for something a little more involved, you could always join an acapella group or the radio station as well. It helps to not only get yourself to do something, but also to be around people with similar interests to distract your brain from the weather and gloomy thoughts you may be having. 

The second thing that could  help seasonal depression is writing in a journal or doing some sort of art. Journaling your thoughts is a really healthy way to explain what you’re feeling because you can get those thoughts out without necessarily having to share it with other people. It can also help you better understand how you’re feeling if you’re confused as to why you feel depressed or a certain way. This is the same case with art; if you’re unable to express your thoughts through writing them, creating art can be a beneficial medium. Everyone processes and deals with their emotions differently, so it’s important to find whatever outlet works for you.

Finally, the last thing I wanted to share is to find things to enjoy about the situation, whether it be ideal or not. If the problem for you is that it gets dark too early, instead of seeing it as “it’s dark so early” try to see it as “it’s dark early, it’s a nice atmosphere to curl up and watch a movie.” This can be done for whatever it is about the winter weather you struggle with, and I can tell you from firsthand experience that changing your mindframe, while sometimes difficult, is a game-changer. Trying to see the positives in everything can help you stay happier and healthier! 

I hope these tips and tricks help you ease gracefully into the colder months! 

Sadie Levi-Price

West Chester '26

My name is Sadie and I am a sophomore at WCU studying Geoscience with a concentration in Earth Systems and a minor in Astronomy. Some of my interests include writing, football, music, nature and spirituality! At home I am a pet owner of a dog named Trey, 2 guinea pigs named Lewis and Clark, and a crested gecko named Honey Dew!