Style

Refresh Your Work-from-Home Wardrobe with 2020’s Fall Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Let’s be honest, the longer we’ve been in quarantine, the temptation to splurge on clothes has only gotten stronger. I get it—after wearing nothing but t-shirts and sweatpants for months on end, I’m looking for any excuse to dress up, even if I have nowhere to go.  Now that the fall season is in full swing, we can look forward to vamping up our already cozy, casual outfits with current trends that have been popping up all over social media platforms like Tik Tok, Pinterest, and Instagram. Not to mention, clothing apps like Depop and Poshmark are a huge help in finding trending, high-quality items for less than they’re originally selling for.

If you are in need of some style inspiration to get through the rest of 2020, here are some latest fall trends to try out this season:

Wide-Leg Trouser Pants

Loose or skin-tight, wide-leg pants are quickly becoming this season’s bell bottoms! What’s cool about the trend is how something as simple as the hem of a pant can instantly change up any outfit. If you want something other than leggings to throw on with a sweatshirt, consider wearing wide-leg pants in a relaxed fit styled with chunky sneakers or boots. Or, dress up a wide-leg, paper-bag style pant with a matching blazer and fitted top tucked in to give the pants a more professional look. These are going to be a versatile bottom as we get into the colder months, so be on the lookout!

90’s Oversized Leather Blazer

To me, a classic leather jacket is synonymous with the fall season because the weather is perfect for heavy statement pieces. Right now, the 90’s inspired oversized leather blazer is absolutely cool and sophisticated, especially paired with a dress or jeans and a graphic tee. If you like the look but can’t bring yourself to spend the cash, consider digging through your dad or brother’s closet and you may just discover a vintage staple of the season.

Small Shoulder Bag

Although our iPhones are getting bigger and bigger each year, the purse trend for fall is proving that smaller is still fashionable. Reminiscent of the most iconic aesthetic of Y2K fashion, a dainty shoulder bag with bold labels or neutral tones happen to work because they balance the trend of oversized clothing. A cardigan with pearl embellishments and high waisted mom jeans look adorable with a shoulder bag, but you can also wear them with any lounge set to look stylish on an errand run.

Layering collared shirts underneath sweaters and sweatshirts

If you’re missing the collegiate vibe of campus, give your university sweatshirt a sporty-chic refresh by simply layering a collared shirt underneath. Plain or printed, a collared shirt is an extremely versatile piece to dress up any sporty or casual outfit. Paired with a tennis skirt, white sneakers and socks is a cute and feminine way to style unisex sweaters and sweatshirts.

The Academia Aesthetic

The academia aesthetic is a romanticization of literature and art inspired by Ivy-league and boarding school culture. In fashion, academia draws on suits, cardigans, loafers/oxfords, stocking with skirts, etc. to achieve a sophisticated, studious look. Light or dark, academia fashion works well for the fall season by incorporating contrasting textures and silhouettes. For working at home, sticking to simple pieces, such as turtlenecks and paper-bag trousers in neutral tones, paired with simple accessories, like a leather belt, is an easy way to professionalize your look for any online meetings with clothes you may already have at home.  

Nikki Haslett

West Chester '21

Nikki Haslett is a West Chester University of PA alum and former Vice President for Her Campus at West Chester. With a Bachelor of Arts degree in English writing and a minor in journalism, she is currently seeking out writing and editorial opportunities for digital/print news publications and magazines. Naturally, she's drawn towards creative outlets, whether it be beauty & fashion, writing, drawing, or working with multimedia tools for journalistic projects, such as podcasting and styling magazine layouts using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. As an aspiring journalist and editor, she is determined to use her natural interpersonal skills to make meaningful connections with individuals and bring unique stories to the forefront. Fun Fact: One of my bucket list goals is to write a complete, feature-length movie script and attend a Hollywood awards show.
Contributor account.