This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Music saved my life. 

I know that this is a crazy accusation but I swear it’s true. I have always felt bonded to music. Similar to two soul tied lovers, expect that music is my lover. The best pairings like peanut butter and jelly or ketchup and mustard. Music is and has always been my muse. It brings communities together, shares crucial times in history, educates people, and so much more. Music can be interpreted in infinitely different ways, each serving a specific purpose for people. Music has evolved so much throughout time, but so have the people who listen to it. Music grows with us and our experiences. It helps those with mental health struggles, motivates people to work on themselves, allows us to let go or even party, and has healing properties. Music saved my life in several ways, and here is my story. 

Music’s Impact

There have been studies done by Pfizer which suggests that listening or making music increases the blood flow to regions of the brain that control our emotions. If you have ever experienced chills when you hear a particularly moving song, this is a direct result of dopamine, which is a chemical that gives the body feelings of pleasure, motivation, and satisfaction. Science documentation shows that in many instances of people who suffered brain injuries are able to retain the ability to recognize the emotion conveyed by music. There are also videos online that show dementia patients who have played music in the past retain the memory on how to play. More specifically, there was a video posted in 2018 of a 92-year-old woman with dementia who demonstrated her music memory and talent by playing Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata. Music had such an impact in her life that it helped her become, for a moment, who she once was.

Another Person with Dementia Remembers Song

In highschool, I was struggling with depression and felt that I had nowhere and no one to go to. That is when I used music to say what I couldn’t articulate. I shared my sadness with Billie Eilish. My loneliness was expressed by Radiohead. My anger was vocalized by Paramore and Fiona Apple. These artists’ gave me a voice that I lost. Similar to the 92-year-old woman who remembered how to play the piano, I was able to reconnect with the emotions I had lost.  They made me realize that I did not have to feel isolated. I have met some of the best people in my life because of the mutual respect and love for music. I will explore just three of the many artists that helped grow my love for music and who’ve saved me. 

The 50s was a time for tender romance. No other time period has ever depicted love in such a sweet way. When I think of Nat King Cole, I imagine myself in a ballgown, having my hand held by a romantic lover who dances the night away with me. At the end of the ball, we go outside and talk on a swinging bench. They ask me, “Where have you been all my life?” and I blush. Nat King Cole, was an American singer, jazz, pianist, and actor, famously known for his song, “The Christmas Song,”and less famously known for making me feel like the only girl in the world. His career started in the late 1930s and his music continues to leave positivity and loving influence to the world today. Nat King Cole is an artist that means so much to me as his songs are about love, sadness, and is so in touch with his emotions. His rendition of, “Smile,” encourages the listener to push through their sorrow and will be greeted with better things tomorrow. In other words, during times of defeat or immense sadness, try not to let those negative thoughts take over, but instead smile and beat the negativity. Nat King Cole’s music made me fall in love with music from the 40’s and 50’s. It was a romantic time in the music industry, where everything was sweet, simple, and less hostile in the music scene. His voice was so smooth, he was so confident, and his music will forever positivity affect my life and others. 

Kicking back on a sunny day in a lawn chair with a beer in my hand. Now, I dislike beer, but when listening to Billy Joel, he makes me hate it a little less. The sun rays beaming down on my tanned skin while Joel’s music is blasting through waterproof portable speakers. Out by the pool while kids run around. This is Billy Joel. While not all his music evokes these emotions, his overall vibe reminds me of this laid back time. Billy Joel is an American singer, songwriter, and famous pianist. He is known for his song, “Piano Man.” He has positively influenced and changed the music industry by emotionally connecting with all of his fans’ hearts. Similar to my feelings about Nat King Cole, Billy Joel makes me feel seen, less alone, and just happy. He has been popular since the 1970s and continues to have a successful music career. A song that stands out to me is, “Honesty,” from his 1978 album 52nd Street. This song suggests that in a world governed by deceit, honesty becomes a solitary pursuit. He amplifies the importance of honesty and describes his need for honesty in relationships. Not only is it a foundation for trust, but for true, genuine connection.

Radiohead is one of those bands that when I hear it, it makes me want to lie on the grass and stare up at the stars late at night. Radiohead are an English rock band that have been around since 1985 and are still releasing music. The song that stands out to me the most is, “The Tourist,” which was featured in their 1997 album, OK Computer. This track vocalizes the feelings behind watching tourists dash through a town in France rather than taking it in slowly and actually enjoying their time. The lyrics, “Hey man slow down, slow down. Idiot, slow down, slow down,” depicts how time can be so fleeting. When I listen to this track, it reminds me to slow down, relax, and take this time in college as a blessing. It allows me to enjoy this time in my life way more than I did before relistening to the song. 

How Music Saved My Life

My connection with music continues to be strengthened as I move forward in my life. Music connects me to my emotions and helps me in times of celebration, sadness, or in trying to focus. Through various studies, personal stories, and my exploration of music, we can see the true power and meaning of music. The best thing about music is that there is always someone out there in the world creating that perfect song that someone will ultimately connect with. Music saved my life and will continue to do so.

Shannon Byrnes

West Chester '26

Hi, my name is Shannon Byrnes, and a writer for Her Campus at West Chester University. I am a Communication major with a minor in Professional and Technical Writing. I am currently a sophomore at West Chester University and love house plants and going on nature walks. In my free time I sing, play music, and listen to music as well as journaling and writing. I also love to grab an iced coffee, thrift, and explore with my friends! Cows are my favorite animal.