neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Life Can Get Hectic but It’s Important to Make Time for Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

It’s that time of the year, summer has come to a close and classes are back in session. If you’re like me, you get excited for the new school year, whether it be seeing your friends, taking classes that interest you, learning new things, or just simply having a set schedule each day. I look forward to taking classes that fit my interests and help me develop my writing skills even further. However, I think we can all agree that when you’re taking 12, 15, or sometimes even 18 credits, it gets crazy. The workload increases, deadlines are set, and you race to get assignments completed on time. On top of that, if you have a job, there is even more responsibility on your shoulders. Your attention is fully focused on your responsibilities and rarely on yourself. Life can get hectic but it’s important to make time for yourself too.

School, work, and you. There needs to be a balance. If there isn’t one, you might go insane… I know I would. My biggest problem is procrastination because it gets the best of me. However, I’ve found a system that works for me and motivates me to get my work done in a proper amount of time. At the beginning of each week, I outline what I have to get done for each class and split it up throughout the week.  By creating a checklist to map out exactly what you need to do, you help yourself find the motivation to complete your daily goals. It divides the workload into different groups which will lessen the amount of stress that comes with it. Instead of looking at a long, endless list of tasks, you are simply given a small group of assignments to do in short periods with breaks in between. Once the assigned work is completed for the day, the remaining time left is yours. Sure, you can work ahead and get more work done so you don’t have to worry about it later, but I like to have a little time to myself each day so I can relax and do whatever I want.

College is a time to have fun. Text your friends and see if they can hang out, ask your roommate(s) if he/she/they would like to go do something, or simply pamper yourself. Now, pampering yourself doesn’t have to be extreme, such as going to the spa and getting your nails done. For me, it’s getting into comfy clothes and getting cozy in bed to watch my favorite show or movie. Other times, it’s me blasting my favorite music in my room and singing and dancing along. Do whatever makes you happy. Give yourself a break from school and work and focus on yourself. Put on a face mask, paint your nails, eat your favorite food. Do whatever helps you unwind. You could even catch up on some sleep if you’ve been lacking it and take a nap. According to the National Sleep Foundation, “napping has [a] psychological benefit. A nap can be a pleasant luxury, a mini-vacation. It can provide an easy way to get some relaxation and rejuvenation.” With that being said, don’t feel bad about yourself needing to nap, go on your “mini-vacation” and enjoy it.

Many college students complain that they don’t have enough free time and can’t enjoy themselves while at school, but there’s always a way to free up some time to dedicate to yourself. Budget your workloads each day and try to not procrastinate getting work done to meet your deadlines. Leave some time for yourself. Make it a goal to give yourself a time to take a deep breath from responsibilities. Having a balance between school and yourself is a lifesaver, but also a necessity to being happy.

Photo Credit: Cover, 1, 2

Hi, I'm Marly! I am a senior at West Chester University, majoring in English (Writings Track) with a concentration in Digital Writing and Rhetoric. In my free time I love to practice self care, which includes: listening to my favorite music, cooking/baking, journaling, and (of course!) obsessing over my dogs.
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.