Wellness > Health

How to Navigate the Gym: Tips from a Clueless Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Ladies, if you are a college student, I’m sure you’ve heard of the stigma around the “Freshman 15.” Whether it’s from drinking, late night D.P. Dough, or just living in bed, I was definitely scared of this as I experienced college life. However, I’m fortunate to live in a society that has been prioritizing health so much lately, and there is a push for self care now more than ever.

As our schedules fill up, it’s important to take some time for ourselves, i.e. focusing on your physical and even mental health. One of the things that helped me as I adjusted to college was visiting my school’s rec center, where I found my groove and started to workout consistently. As well, there are lessons I’m learning along the way to becoming a “gym rat,” and it doesn’t come easily.

expectations vs reality

When I started to workout with my brother over winter break, I learned a lot from him, considering he had been lifting weights for a few years now. There were a lot of expectations I had for myself when it came to working out, and I was hit with the reality of it real quick.

don’t focus on looks.

Exercising and bettering your health looks different for everyone. You don’t need to rep GymShark, LuluLemon, or Nike Blazers to get a good workout in. I noticed that I myself never really watched other people as they worked out, so I realized that most likely, no one paid any mind to me. It doesn’t matter what you wear, how sweaty you are, or if you can only get five reps on a machine. No one is really paying that much attention. Once you accept this, it’s easier to feel comfortable in the gym environment.

creating a routine is hard.

As someone who is used to winging it a lot, I was surprised when it actually took me a while to learn how to make a “split” for myself at the gym — meaning I did certain exercises on certain days. After one week of trying out a routine, I was surprised how hard it was to stick to and remember. There’s definitely more to the gym than just treadmills and dumbbells, and learning to use new machines and what parts of the body they can exercise is more challenging than I expected. 

Results take time.

I know we all love to wakeup to that “morning skinny,” but unfortunately that effect doesn’t last. Sadly progress doesn’t happen overnight, in fact it can take 8-12 weeks to notice true results. However, it all depends on how often you exercise, what your diet is, and how much water you’re drinking. Understanding all the factors to being healthy is key for real progress. Don’t let a timeframe discourage you from getting those gains!

gym etiquette

Even though you are working out for yourself, you do need to be mindful of others. There are definitely some unwritten rules when it comes to working out in a shared space, and they all relate to respect. 

be aware of your surroundings.

If you’re like me, personal space is important, especially if I’m getting my sweat on. Common sense is key: it’s probably not smart to set up your yoga mat within arms length of someone else. Or when using free weights, make sure to choose an area with plenty of space. When exercising, you’re already sweaty enough; you don’t need someone all up in your space.

be considerate.

When you look around, everyone at the gym is there for their own reasons, and it would be nice for everyone to have good experiences working out. I’m sure some of us have had uncomfortable encounters with others at the gym, and if you’re a drama queen like me, you let it affect your whole mood — even your whole workout. This means no loitering around equipment that you need: either approach the person after they finish a set and ask “How many sets do you have left?” or “Would you mind if I work in?” No one deserves to feel rushed or pressured while doing their own thing.

clean up after yourself.

After using equipment, such as free weights, cable attachments, or a barbell, be sure to put them back where they belong or detach them for the next person. This makes it easier for others at the gym, the workers, and yourself, so next time you need equipment, it’s right where it should be.

As Elle Woods says, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy,” so get after it girl bosses! The gym is not a scary place once you go a few times and find your flow. Remember that working out does NOT mean you need to lose weight — and neither does “Hot Girl Summer.” It’s all about moving your body and feeling healthy and strong, like the badass you are!

XOXO, Cassidy Seipt 

💋 Related: Fighting The Freshman Fifteen
Cassidy Seipt

West Chester '25

Hi! My name is Cassidy and I'm a freshman at West Chester University and I'm a Media & Culture major with a Digital Marketing minor. I've always been more of an arts person, whether it's reading and writing or making my own art. I hope I can bring some articles to the table that are relatable and make people feel heard.