This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Title: How to Practice Mindfulness in Your Everyday Routine

Author: Juliana Elg

Tags: hcatwetchester, hercampus, westchester, mindfulness, mentalhealth 

Practicing mindfulness regularly can help you live your life more purposefully and it is wonderful in helping you heal or grow mentally and spiritually. Marsha Lucas, Ph.D, psychologist and author of Rewire Your Brain for Love, says “Mindfulness is paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgmentally”. Practicing mindfulness can have so many benefits to your overall well-being, and there are so many different ways to be mindful. Here are some tips to help bring mindfulness into your everyday routine. 

coffee in a blue pattern mug next to an analog alarm clock
Aphiwat chuangchoem/Pexels

When you first wake up  

Taking time first thing in the morning to practice mindfulness sets the tone for the whole day. Instead of immediately checking your phone or turning on the TV or reading the news, just take time to sit with yourself and reflect on how you feel at that moment. You can even do this while you drink your coffee! It’s super important to sit with yourself in silence and really check in with yourself first thing in the morning. This is the time to make note of any feelings of stress, anxiety, jealousy, anger, or any unpleasant emotion so you can work through it before it dampens your day.

woman eating
Photo by Pablo Merchán Montes on Unsplash

While you eat 

There was a time where I couldn’t eat without the sound of TV or YouTube to fill the silence. I would let my meal get cold before I picked a show on Netflix. Recently I learned how great it is to sit and eat without any distractions. It’s really nice to sit and appreciate the food that you’re eating, especially if you made it yourself, and pay attention to how it tastes and how you feel. I notice that when I’m practicing mindfulness while I eat, I tend to care more about what I eat and if I’m eating the right things. If I’m too busy or too distracted I lose sight of my well-being and I tend to eat poorly. If you sit and think about the kind of food you’re eating and how it makes you feel, you’ll start to put more thought into keeping to a healthy diet. 

Photo by Emma Simpson on Unsplash

Going on a walk  

Taking 20 minutes out of your day to get outside and go for a walk is very important for your well being, especially during a time like this. Try to walk in nature without listening to music or calling a friend or any artificial noise. Pay attention to the sounds of nature and the feeling of the ground on your feet. This is a great time to take lots of deep breaths and take advantage of the fresh air. 

Pexels

While stretching 

As someone with poor circulation and the physical flexibility of a 90 year old woman, I need to stretch a lot. I stretch in the morning and multiple times throughout the day, I even stretch during some of my online classes when my camera is off and microphone muted. I noticed though that I get the best experience when I sit and stretch in silence and be intentional. I pay extra attention to how my body feels and where my body needs more work. I take this time to really check in with myself and practice some deep breathing. 

While waiting 

Whether it be at the doctor’s office, on public transportation, or even Zoom waiting rooms, we all have many moments throughout the day where we need to practice our patience and wait. Typically, this is a time to either go on your phone or read a book. Every now and then, try just sitting and letting your mind wander instead of being reactive to some sort of external stimulus. Also a little tip, if you’re waiting for class to start, try a little mental exercise and imagine yourself meeting your goal, whether it be graduating or studying abroad or becoming a doctor, just picture yourself achieving your dream. Doing this before class or even before a test can help remind you of why you put in all the hard work and keep you motivated with your main purpose in sight. 

Juliana Elg

West Chester '21

Hi, I'm Juliana Elg! I'm a junior Psychology student with a minor in Global Studies and I'm passionate about writing, telling stories, and helping others. When I'm not studying you can find me going on nature walks and painting.
Contributor account.