This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Like many others, burnout is something I have encountered at times as a college student. Whether it’s because the coursework is at its maximum load, the frequent demands of extracurriculars are piling up, needing to maintain a presence in my social circle, or deciding between whether I should pick up that extra shift or catch up on sleep. Yes, we have all heard how our college years are what we will look back upon most fondly, but that doesn’t mean that it is not extremely stressful at times.

Whatever the reasons, here are a few signs I saw when I find myself struggling with burnout: 

• The feeling of not dreading going to class or work 
  • Feeling cynical, depressed, irritable 
  • No longer aligning with the goal you are working towards
  • You can’t remember the last time you took a break
  • Headaches, fatigue, stomach issues
  • Eating too much or too little
  • Abusing substances such as alcohol 

At the beginning of noticing the state of any type of ailment, I tend to worry about how I will find the time to get myself back on track. Of course the weekend is available, however that tends to fill up quickly with other demands. In an outgoing college town, especially with the Eagles on the way to the Super Bowl, if you are someone who recuperates in solitude, the weekend might not be as better-off for a quick fix. 

A few things that I have learned to help me prepare for another week ahead, without completely disappearing, is to choose just one day out of the weekend (or week) to ignore everything and everyone else besides yourself. Treating yourself to a day off, while also only spending time with yourself can be very peaceful and re-energizing in a plethora of ways.

If it is nice out, you might indulge in activity outside. A walk to a coffee shop, a jog around the park, a particular hiking trail you have been wanting to try. Getting your favorite food from a takeout spot or making a dish from your best home recipes. 

You can also choose from numerous in-home activities: calling a friend from home to catch up, re-organizing your bedroom, drawing or painting, curling up to your favorite movie which would undoubtedly turn into a movie-marathon. It is really up to what suits you and is relaxing at the moment. 

At the end of the day, the best thing you can do for yourself is to listen to your mind and your body. If you are exhausted, be compassionate and take care of yourself. Starting to just take one day for yourself when needed is the beginning of a bigger practice of listening to your own needs and providing for them. Quick-fixes certainly won’t prop you and your mind up every time in a long lasting way, but the luxury of a simple day off can subside stress for the next strenuous week of a college student.     

Valerie Thomson

West Chester '23

Psych major with a minor in literature of diverse cultures at west chester university.