neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Being a college student alone isn’t always easy. Assignments come in, tests come in, and the overall pressure comes in. On top of that, I’ve been completing my last internship needed to graduate. Therefore, I have several deadlines I need to meet throughout the semester. I am also apart of Her Campus (obviously!), so I need to keep up with articles and so on. Then I work on the weekends as well. It can be stressful. Here’s my unofficial guide for handling stress.

Go outside: This really helps. Whether it is walking a dog, sitting outside, studying, or anything, the sunlight and fresh air have a calming effect on people. If you’re able too, add seeing a waterfall to the mix, the sound of water also has a calming effect.

Take a nap: I mean honestly, who doesn’t love a good nap? Whether it’s an hour, 30 minutes, or even 10 mins, taking a nap allows your mind to relax. Giving yourself a break isn’t a bad thing.

Image: mathey @pixabay

Meditation:  If napping isn’t for you, then meditation is a great way to relax your mind in the same way that a nap would! Take a class or even download an app!

Light a candle: Whether your cleaning your room, studying for an exam, or writing a paper, a candle will help relax your mind. I recommend the essential oil candles from Bath and Body Works. They are a miracle in a candle. 

Reading: Sometimes curling up with your favorite blanket and reading a novel or even a magazine can help relieve stress by keeping your mind distracted.

Spend time with your pet or any animal: I know if you live on campus, this is easier said than done, but spending time with your pet will help you relax and make you happy! If you aren’t able to visit your pet right away, go to the local shelter. There are plenty of animals who are looking for love!

Family and friends: Sometimes a busy schedule can cause you to isolate yourself. Make sure you make time for your family and friends. Take a day trip or simply watch a movie! Being with loved ones will ease your mind. 

Image: Free-Photos on pixabay

Watch a movie: Sitting and enjoying a good movie always calms me down, as long as it’s not a horror one!

Take a mental health day:  Shut off the computer, turn off social media, and relax. Self-care is one of the most critical steps in relieving stress and preventing yourself from becoming burnt out. 

Spend time with your significant other: If you truly love someone or if your relationship is healthy for the most part, you should be able to relax and talk to your S.O. They’re hopefully there to support you whether that’s just needing a hug from them or needing to vent, they are the ones who should be your go too. 

Of course, everyone is different, but I hope at least a few up my steps will help with your stress. Keep pushing through, and before you know it, it’ll be winter break!

Shelby Cushing is a Junior at Wells College majoring in business and looking into marketing and hospitality. She has a passion for photography and graphic design. You can catch her with her Golden-Doodle Cooper or drinking coffee with her friends in order to survive college.
Wells Womxn