This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

With midterms coming up, it’s important for everyone to take a step back every once and a while and take some time for themselves to just laze about and focus on something other than school work for a moment or take the time to focus on nothing at all. For many people, mental health days are the perfect time to do just that. For me, mental health days are the perfect opportunity to catch up on hobbies and activities that I’ve had to push aside because of classwork, and I find that those activities help me feel better by the time the day is done. So, if you find yourself wanting to “do” something while still taking a mental break, here are some suggestions:

Watch Something: Mental health days are always my opportunity to catch up on the things that I’ve wanted to watch, but couldn’t due to my other engagements. I prefer to unwind with something familiar that I haven’t seen in a while, but days off are the perfect opportunity to catch up on any show, YouTube series, or movie you missed. 

Take a Walk: As cliche as it is, walking and getting moving is usually a good way to clear the mind and get some Vitamin D in. With the lovely weather we’ve been having lately, going out and getting some fresh air is highly recommended, and not too mentally taxing. 

Make Something: My go-to mental health day activity; giving my hands something to do always makes me feel better, especially when I have something to show at the end of it. I prefer sewing as my method, but just being creative and creating something can be rewarding, be it a friendship bracelet, origami, or a finished coloring page. 

Play a Game: Although I didn’t grow up playing many video games, I’ve grown to appreciate them more recently. The assigned tasks and fun atmospheres can be a great way to unwind, especially if it’s a game you love or one you can play with your friends! Board and card games can also be a good way to relax with company, just make sure you don’t ruin any friendships. 

Listen to Some Music: I usually have some song or another playing while I walk to classes, but I hardly take the time to actually listen to them. It may be a good idea to put on one of your favorite albums or a custom playlist and just take the time to listen, sing and dance a little, should you feel so inclined.

Read/Learn Something Purely for Fun: Being in college, or indeed, any school, can make anything that feels even remotely academic feel like a chore, but I find that taking the time to read a book that isn’t required reading for a task or researching a topic that interests me and that I won’t have to write a paper about can be a great way to unwind, and gives me something new to talk about. 

Do Something You’ve Been Meaning To: Maybe you’ve been meaning to spend some time by the waterfront, or listen to a new podcast, or check up on a friend. Usually, little things like that can get easily pushed aside in favor of completing another, more important task, but a mental health day could be the perfect opportunity to catch up with someone or cross something you’ve been meaning to off of your list. 

Hi, I'm Laney! 19, She/Her, writer, Campus Correspondent, and editor for the Wells College chapter of HerCampus!
Wells Womxn