Things To Do If You Are Graduating This Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

For a long time, graduation always seemed like a faraway dream. But for a lot of us now, it’s becoming a reality. Before you move on to start the rest of your life, make sure you do these things to prepare and make the most of your last few months.

1. Apply for Graduation (Grad photos not included)

This one seems obvious, but with everything going on, it may not be at the top of our to-do lists. So here’s a reminder, if you’re trying to graduate you NEED to fill out your Intention to graduate form! Make sure you are graduating when you’ve been meaning too, you don’t want to have to wait any longer to get your degree. This also means schedule in those graduation photos, which is another easy step to miss.

2. Utilize those student benefits

You get so many benefits as a student and if you’re not planning on going back to school for a while, here’s your chance to make the most of it. Need a wisdom tooth removed? Need a massage? Need medication? Want to work out? Need Spotify premium or Amazon prime? Go for it, most schools cover these things or offer student discounts. It’s now or never!

3. Reach out to old professors

This is especially important if you need a recommendation letter or a reference for grad school. So, network! Reach out to that professor you worked with or were a teaching assistant for. It’s always good to have these connections in your database regardless, you never know when you might need them.

4. Explore your town

Even though you’ve been in your town for the last few years, there are guaranteed places you haven’t seen. Go to that bar you’ve been meaning to try since second year or go study at a new coffee shop. You’ll find some hidden gems you didn’t even know existed that you’ll be sad to leave behind.

5. Look back and reflect

So much might have changed from first year. You might have a different friend group or you could be a completely different person. It’s important you recognize how far you’ve come so don’t be afraid to look back on old photographs, nights gone wrong and days gone right. Reflect on your last four years, you may even learn something new!

6. See what’s next

Graduation is only a few months away now. It’s time to start thinking about what comes after. Whether it’s another undergrad, a master’s program or job hunting, make sure you are prepared when you put on your cap and gown. The world is going to open up in front of you, make sure you are ready for it.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Mihan Davar

Waterloo '19

Mihan is an Arts and Business co-op student majoring in English Literature and Rhetoric. 
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!