This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

February can be quite intimidating for some of us. Everyone preaches about loving yourself and how you don’t need anyone else, but self-love isn’t just a February thing; it’s a year-round thing. 

Loving yourself first should be your top priority. It is important to recognize and appreciate all the things you love about yourself as well as what others love about you, because you can’t truly start to love others until you love yourself. Embrace the things you don’t love as much about yourself, because once you acknowledge them, you will begin to love yourself that much more. Remind yourself that you are unique and there is only one of you. Showing up as your authentic self is the best thing you can do. Pretending to be someone you’re not or hiding certain aspects of yourself won’t help build your confidence. Owning who you are will spike your confidence which will generate more self-love for yourself. When you feel good, you do good. 

woman wearing underwear saying bad ass
Monika Kozub
Remember who you are. Oftentimes, we lose sight of ourselves. It’s easy to get caught up in social media and start comparing yourself to others, but being who you are and knowing that you don’t need to change for anyone is crucial to accepting who you are. Self-love takes time and you will change and grow as you adapt to the process. 

Taking care of yourself is vital to recognizing your worth and appreciating who you are. This includes all aspects of your life: mind, body and soul. Positive affirmations, journaling, meditation, and yoga are just some of the many ways you can begin. Find your niche; self-love looks different for everyone. Hype yourself up and do the same for others. Grab a pack of sticky notes, write positive messages on them, and stick them on your mirror; this will be a daily reminder for you. Don’t be afraid to praise yourself! You can do the same for a friend, family member or roommate. Spread love to others, too! If you’re having trouble thinking of what to write on the sticky notes, look up the #AerieReal movement; there are all sorts of inspiring messages and quotes that spread positivity. This will help you kickstart your journey to being kind to yourself as well as others.

\"Do what you love\" on a light up sign
Photo by Riz Mooney from Unsplash
Fill your time with things that make you genuinely happy. Don’t love running? Then why do it? If you love dancing, for example, then why not incorporate it into your workouts? Fall in love with moving your body in a way that motivates and inspires you. You have the power to do what you enjoy; carry this mindset to all other areas of your life as well. This includes acknowledging the power you have when speaking about yourself and thinking about yourself and your actions. Remember that doing what you love contributes to loving yourself.  

Doing things solely to please others won’t get you anywhere in life. Remember that you don’t need anyone else’s approval. You need to value your own needs first and not lose sight of your values and beliefs. This will ensure that you are putting your best foot forward and being your best self. You are capable of amazing things, so give up on any self-doubt and embrace your imperfections. But remember to be gentle with yourself; we live in such a harsh world as it is. I will leave you with this piece of advice from Brene Brown: “Talk to yourself like you’d talk to someone you love.”  

Erika Groves

Waterloo '23

Hi everyone! I'm a third-year University of Waterloo student studying Social Development Studies. My hobbies include reading, writing, spending time outdoors, and makeup application!
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.