Wellness > Health

8 Things I Wish I Knew Before Going to the Gynaecologist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but everything about going to see a gynaecologist seems taboo in today’s society. Despite that nearly every woman has to go several times in their lifetime, I never knew what the experience was like. So, on one fateful day in the summer when I realized I would have to attend the gynaecologist for the first time ever, I was nothing short of terrified. I have decided to compile this list to ease the fear of the unknown for those who will inevitably attend the gynaecologist, and to reminisce about my truly eye-opening experience.

Sex and pregnancy are NOT the only reasons why women go to the gynaecologist.

Picture this: 18 year-old me walks into the gynaecologist’s office to see a bunch of pregnant women staring at me, undoubtedly wondering why the hell I’m here. I have no doubt that they assumed I was getting an IUD put in, or getting checked for an STI. I don’t really blame them, considering those are two pretty common reasons why people my age go to the gynaecologist. But before I had this experience, I had no clue how many possible reasons there are as to why a woman may be attending a gynaecologist’s office. Remember that it’s normal to wonder, but it’s dangerous to assume.

It’s going to feel uncomfortable and perhaps a bit unnatural.

I am confident in saying that the feeling I had was unlike any other. Even when the doctor is just checking it out to see what’s going on, it still feels absolutely uncomfortable. You may want to shrivel up into a fetal position. But instead, I recommend you just keep in mind why you’re there, and the importance of what you’re doing. Push past the odd feelings and trust your doctor.

Don’t feel awkward talking about your own body; they’re a trained professional.

Will it feel a bit unorthodox to talk about your period or sex life with someone you have never met before? Absolutely. But the only way they’re going to truly understand your health is if you just swallow your pride and open up. It’s not like they are asking you this information because they just want to hear all of the juicy details; try to answer every question they ask with complete honesty. I guarantee they will not judge you!

Although it may feel like it, they are not being invasive! Again, they are a trained professional!

It did feel weird that a relative stranger was literally looking around inside of me, but my gynaecologist made it clear to me that the awkwardness I felt was not reciprocal. Gynaecologists find the female genitalia fascinating; it is less of a sex object and more of a complex and captivating part of the human body. The only way they will get to the bottom of whatever’s going on down there is if they take a good look.

Make sure your gynaecologist tells you what they’re doing while they do it. This will make it feel much less invasive and will help you get to know your own body.

One thing I found super helpful when I was at the gynaecologist’s office was to have her explain what exactly was happening while she examined me. This removed the “what is going on?” feelings and replaced the awkwardness with an increased understanding of my body. Think of it as an educational experience; knowledge is power, especially if said knowledge can make you feel a little more comfortable.

It’s okay to be on your period during the appointment.

It felt completely weird going to the gynaecologist on my period, but then I realized something important. If gynaecologists scheduled all appointments to not only accommodate both their own and the patients’ schedules but also the patient’s cycle, it would be nearly impossible to book an appointment. Not only this, but cancellations would be through the roof. Sometimes gynaecologists prefer when patients are on their periods to ensure that the patient is not pregnant. Periods are natural and far from an inconvenience when it comes to gynaecologists.

You don’t have to maintain it or make it look nice just for this appointment. They do not get grossed out by any kind of vagina.

News flash: gynaecologists know that pubic hair exists. Not only this, but they understand everything there is to know about the female genitalia. Waxing or shaving before your appointment is not going to fool them, nor will it make them think you have a more beautiful vagina because it is hairless. Believe me, they have definitely seen worse things. If you enjoy maintaining it, feel free to do so, but it’s far from necessary. 

Ask questions, even if they may seem like dumb or obvious ones.

I’ll be the first person to admit I’m pretty uneducated about my own body, so I figured the best way to learn was to ask all of the stupid questions that came into my brain. You may not get another opportunity to learn about this part of yourself for another while, so may as well not leave with any burning questions.

Well, there you go ladies! Now you’re all prepared for your first gyno appointment. Push past that stress and embrace the new experience.

Abby is a National Writer for Her Campus and the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Waterloo. As part of the Wellness team, she covers topics related to mental health and relationships, but also frequently writes about digital trends, career advice, current events, and more. In her articles, she loves solving online debates, connecting with experts, and reflecting on her own experiences. She is also passionate about spreading the word about important cultural issues such as climate change and women’s rights; these are topics she frequently discusses in her articles. Abby began producing digital content at BuzzFeed, where she now has over 300 posts and 60 million overall views. Since then, she has also written for various online publications such as Thought Catalog, Collective World, and Unpacked. In addition to writing, Abby is also a UX and content designer; she most frequently spends her days building innovative, creative digital experiences. She has other professional experiences ranging from marketing to graphic design. When she’s not writing, Abby can be found reading the newest Taylor Jenkins Reid book, watching The Office, or eating pizza. She’s also been a dancer since she was four years old, and has most recently become obsessed with taking spin classes.
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.