stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Trouble Falling Asleep? Try This Easy Trick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

We’ve all had those nights where we just can’t fall asleep. Sometimes it’s we’re excited or scared about an upcoming event, sometimes we keep reliving the past, and sometimes we just can’t resist using our phones and computers before bed. Whatever the reason may be, lying in bed with no sleep in sight is a frustrating experience, especially when you have a busy day ahead of you.

So you drink some warm milk or tea, you try breathing and letting go of your racing thoughts, you put on some white noise in the background, you try everything you’ve heard or read about– but your mind and body are against you. If this happens to you on a regular basis, you may want to think about trying a melatonin supplement.

In case you don’t know, melatonin is a hormone produced by the body that helps regulate sleep. If you have trouble falling asleep at night, it is possible that your body is not producing enough. One reason for this could be a sleep disorder that needs to be assessed by a professional. Another reason can be the blue light emitted by a lot of screens; artificial light sources such as this can interfere with the body’s natural sleep process, which is why sleep specialists advise against bedtime smartphone use.

It is important to remember that everyone’s body is different, and therefore do not all react to melatonin supplements in the same way. As with any other supplement or medication, you should see if you are at risk of any serious side effects and consult with your healthcare provider if you are unsure.

If you regularly have problems falling asleep and have assessed any potential negative reactions your body may have from melatonin supplements, I think it’s worth trying. I first tried melatonin supplements a couple of years ago, and it’s been a big help for the nights when I really need to sleep but can’t.

I’m a night owl, so I like to stay up late. I also have a couple of anxiety disorders. Add the fact that I’m addicted to my technology and you’ve got a great recipe for staying awake well past any reasonable bedtime, either intentionally or unintentionally. A couple of years ago, I was resigned to the fact that I just had an inconsistent sleep schedule. But then it was recommended that I try taking a melatonin supplement before bed, and it changed things for me.

I only need one milligram of melatonin, which comes in a tablet that dissolves under my tongue, and thirty minutes to an hour later all I really want to do is sleep, and my body lets me. Some people take melatonin every night, but I personally like to only take it sometimes to make sure I don’t end up being dependent on it. On the nights that I do take it, I go from wide awake to very sleepy faster than I would without it, but not too fast. One of the things I like most about taking just a little bit of melatonin is that its effects are gradual. It’s a gentle slope to sleepiness, rather than a steep jump.

If you’re having trouble sleeping and are out of ideas, I highly recommend melatonin supplements.

Kristy Lee

Washington '20

Undergraduate at the University of Washington majoring in English and minoring in American Indian Studies.