Wellness > Mental Health

The Benefits of Digital Detox: How Turning Off Notifications Can Boost Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In our technology-saturated lives, our brains are constantly being assaulted with information. We are exposed non-stop to a variety of “vital” facts, rumors, news, and fake news. Our brains attempt to sift through this information, determining what is important and what is not. With this never-ending flow of information, we often multitask, answering our texts while crossing the street, for example, or responding to emails while waiting in line for coffee. The problem is that our brains are not meant to multitask to this degree, and often, important information can slip through the cracks. 

It has been proven time and time again that while multitasking makes us feel like we are getting more done at once, it actually makes us less efficient. This idea is called information overload and has been a recent interest of many neuroscientists around the world. In an article for The Guardian, Neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin stated, “multitasking often increases the production of cortisol, a stress hormone, and adrenaline, a fight-or-flight hormone. This can cause mental fog or scrambled thinking because the brain is overstimulated.”

The part of our brains that we rely on to stay on task is easily distracted by the overabundance of information that we are continually flooded with, serving as a constant distraction. The simple act of checking our emails, quickly responding to a text, or getting frequent notifications on our smartphones is detrimental to our ability to stay on task.

As college students, we are some of the most common victims of this trap. As we attempt to balance classes, jobs, internships, personal life, and the hope of getting enough sleep to do it all over again, it is no surprise that minor details often end up falling through the cracks.

Recently, I have noticed myself falling into these same patterns, overwhelmed with constant notifications and reminders of what I should be doing. With the digitalization of most of my school work, I don’t really have the option to turn off my notifications entirely. However, I have been making a conscious effort to turn my school notifications off as often as possible. When taking a few hours to relax after school, I turn my Canvas notifications off so I am not reminded of the work I could be doing while trying to relax. This has helped me differentiate my school and personal life, and I feel much more rejuvenated after taking some uninterrupted time for myself. 

I have recently also taken to turning off my social media notifications or deleting the apps altogether. These apps are designed to capture our attention and encourage us to spend as much time as possible using them. The abundance of information I see daily on TikTok and Instagram can be overwhelming. By turning off these notifications, I have been able to take control of my time and choose when to engage with social media. I have begun leaving my phone behind when I know I won’t need it. By severing this tie to my device, I have been more present in the moment, gaining some peace of mind. 

Our generation’s exposure to technology and social media has allowed us to build previously unheard-of connections. We can connect with people worldwide, becoming informed on issues we would never have been before. However, our reliance on these devices can sometimes be more of a burden than anything else. By disconnecting, even if only momentarily, we are able to experience life in the present moment.

Anjali Schatzer

Washington '25

Anjali is a junior at University of Washington studying informatics. She is passionate about technology and sciences, but enjoys writing as a hobby.