This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

January 1st isn’t the only time of year to start anew. 

While it is most common – or perhaps most encouraged – to make sweeping resolutions and grand changes to a routine during the first month of the year, I think people often forget that we can change the way we live at any time. 

And, for those looking for a fresh start, what better time than now? What better time than spring?

I’m sure many people have heard the phrase “spring cleaning,” which is typically when people clean out their homes in an effort to start the new season on a positive note. My take on this phrase is “spring cleansing” – a period of time dedicated not to our homes, but to ourselves. To our minds. To our bodies. To our souls. 

Winter quarter, and the winter season in general, is often a tough one. Gloomy weather, homesickness, school-driven stress: these are all factors that can negatively impact our health and happiness. Moving forward, however, I believe it is important to shake off as much negative energy as possible, and instead come into the new season refreshed and revived.

Spring may not officially begin until March 20th, but there is no better time than the present to start planning! So, without further ado, here are some ways I will be spring cleansing before spring quarter.

Making a mood board

A mood board is essentially a collage of images that connect to a specific theme or aesthetic. I’ve made mood boards for vacations, school years, seasons, styles, and more – the options are truly endless! And the best thing about them is that they are super personal. Each mood board you make can speak to your individual hopes, dreams, wishes, and desires. 

I have been working on my spring mood board for a few weeks now, and it has been going wonderfully! I use the app Pinterest (the best app ever!) to gather images that I want to embody in these coming months, and save them all into my current mood board. 

Outfits, makeup looks, activities, aesthetics, and everything in between: mood boards are an incredible way to get excited and inspired for what the future can hold! 

reading

I don’t know about you, but I definitely fell behind on my personal reading goal during winter. When required reading for class begins to pile up, my energy to pick up a book of my own accord turns into energy to scroll on TikTok or energy to watch a movie. 

Yet, when I do have the motivation to read for myself, it is always such a fulfilling experience. The ability to get lost in a story, the feeling of relating to a character, the grip of a well-written plot – in my mind, nothing can truly compare. And, as an added benefit, reading is a great way to relax and rewind, something I’m sure we all need right about now. 

So, in the spirit of cleansing, over spring break I will be starting a new book, one I’m excited about, so that my love for reading is renewed before spring quarter begins. Now the question remains, what book…? 

eating well & exercising

I don’t plan on going on a strict diet or running ten miles per day in order to prepare for spring quarter; instead, I am going to focus on making small changes in my daily routine that can help improve my mental and physical health. 

Specifically, my goal for spring break (and hopefully all of spring quarter) is to drink more water, eat more fruits and vegetables, and be more active. Whether it’s running outside, walking on the treadmill, swimming in the pool, hiking, dancing, or anything in between, I am going to make an effort to move my body. To get outside. And, to have fun! 

cleaning

I know, I know. I said this was spring cleansing, not spring cleaning.

But, I’ve found that having a clean and organized space always makes me feel better. If I cannot seem to control anything else in my life, at least I know I can control the state of my room. Since coming back to a messy dorm is never fun, I’ll be sure to get all my cleaning and organizing done before I leave for break. That way, I’ll be a step in the right direction when spring quarter begins.

These are just a few things I will be doing to get my mind, body, and soul ready for spring. I hope you are inspired to enjoy your own version of spring cleansing (and cleaning!) 

Have a happy and safe spring break :) 

Tara Boyd

Washington '26

Tara is a second year student at the University of Washington. She is studying English Literature and hopes to one day be an author. In her free time, Tara can be found reading, dancing, going to concerts, and spending time with loved ones!