This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

If you would have asked me six months ago how I feel about manifestation, I probably would have laughed in your face. There’s a lot of misconceptions online about “manifesting,” like that it’s only for “hippies” or it’s an excuse for people to be lazy and wait for things to happen to them rather than working towards achieving their goals. For a long time, I was also in that camp. But recently, I’ve looked at manifestation from an entirely new angle. After doing some research online and putting some techniques into my daily routine, I’ve actually noticed legitimate positive changes in my life.

Manifestation is a process that involves bringing something tangible into your life through attraction and belief, often through thinking aspirational thoughts in hopes of turning them into a reality. One of the main principles of manifestation is the “law of attraction,” which is the ability to attract into one’s lives whatever one is focusing on. According to the law of attraction, if you focus on all of the negativity in your life, you’re bound to walk around life feeling gloomy, sad, and as if no good things are happening for you. On the other hand, if you intentionally think positive thoughts and direct attention towards expressing gratitude, the rain clouds will begin to part, and you can more easily accomplish your goals and find happiness.

woman sitting at a table covering her face with her hand
Photo by Pragyan Bezbaruah from Pexels
A lot of people assume that manifestation involves allotting large portions of your day to thinking and journaling, but that’s not necessarily true. I view manifestation as a way to implement small moments of gratitude, self-reflection, and positivity into my day. Here are some simple tenets that guide my thinking:

1. Thinking clearly about the goals I want to achieve

You can achieve this by sitting down and starting to consider what things you really want out of your life. Be as specific as you can and don’t limit yourself (although trying to manifest a new Frank Ocean album may be a little far-fetched).

2. Speak or write goals into existence

I prefer to write down the things I want to achieve and the things I am grateful for in my journal, but some people may prefer to think them in their head or speak them aloud. I find it helpful to acknowledge what I am grateful for, in addition to what I want out of my life. Recognizing the milestones I’ve achieved or the things I’ve been fortunate enough to be given is helpful because it allows me to see the positive aspects of my life instead of solely focusing on what’s missing.

3. Co-create with the universe

From what I’ve read online and practiced in my real life, a key part of manifesting is actually taking actionable steps to achieve your goals. It’s not enough to simply tell the universe what you want, sit back, and wait for what you want to come. Rather, the process of manifestation is a collaboration with the universe. You clearly vocalize what you want, and then take steps on your end to make it happen.

4. Let go of resistance

Sometimes it is painful for me to actually acknowledge what I want. As women, we’re socialized to be selfless and put the needs of others above our own. Writing or saying the statement “I want ______” can be emotional, as it can make me feel like I’m being overly greedy. But the truth is: we all deserve to live the lives we desire and play a role in designing them for ourselves. It isn’t selfish to say what you want, if anything it can provide clarity on what is truly important to you. Say or write about what you want openly and proudly and let go of any resistant thoughts saying you don’t deserve it, because you do!

love yourself written on a sidewalk
Photo by Michelle Bonkosky from Unsplash
In no way am I claiming to be an expert on the subject of manifestation. And in no way am I advocating for some sort of complete, spiritual life transformation, as that’s simply not realistic for most of us. However, I’ve found that purposefully thinking positive thoughts and making my goals and intentions clear to myself has resulted in some real positive changes. Sometimes the changes are somewhat small like acknowledgment from a professor that I’m doing a good job in her course, or perhaps something a bit larger like a 100% on an exam. Of course, I don’t think these things are happening solely because I’m “manifesting” them, rather I’m able to see these positive things in my life more clearly and more readily work towards achieving my ambitions because of a shift in mindset.

All in all, the biggest thing manifestation has granted me is a greater amount of easefulness in my daily life. Instead of letting the negativity bog me down, choosing to acknowledge the positivity has boosted my mood, allowed me to more readily and confidently work towards my goals, and made me feel more open to the unpredictability of life.

Madison Huizinga

Washington '23

Madison Huizinga is currently a sophomore at the University of Washington and plans on studying communication. Madison is local to the Seattle area and has lived here her whole life. When Madison isn't writing, she loves dancing with Intrepidus Dance, traveling, cooking, and spending time with her friends and family.