Five New Singles for Your Sad Girl Walks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

On days where your motto is “it’s okay to not be okay,” switch out your hot girl walk playlist to this sad girl walk one. Check out these five newly released fall favorites for moments of feeling and healing:

1. “Stick Season” by Noah Kahan

This TikTok-viral song encapsulates every autumnal feeling in the form of catchy verses and heart-wrenching anecdotes. Whether you’re missing your ex or just feeling nostalgic in general, this song will validate your feelings. With lyrics like “I’m no longer funny ’cause I miss the way you laugh,” you’ll be ready for your sad girl walk.

2. “About You” by the 1975

The 1975’s fifth studio album did not disappoint on the sad girl scale. While I’d love to include every one of their songs on this list, there’s something about this one that hits home. The song depicts the intense feelings of longing and nostalgia that come with first heartbreak. It’s best said in this verse: “there was something about you that now I can’t remember, it’s the same damn thing that made my heart surrender.”

3. “october passed me by” by girl in red

This sister song to Girl in Red’s breakout hit “We Fell in Love in October” moves past the hopeful and romanticized version of love that the artist previously depicted. While both songs take place in October, “October Passed Me By” follows a heartbroken Girl in Red as she reveals the struggle of letting go of longing and teenage naivety. This song draws direct parallels from its predecessor. Lyrics like “you will be my girl” change to “always in the back of my mind, you’ll be my girl.”

4. “Complex” by Katie Gregson-Macleod

Another song made famous through a community of heartbroken hot girls on TikTok, “Complex” makes commentary on the experience of an unhealthy relationship. The song narrates a woman’s experience of feeling unloved in her relationship. Artist Katie Gregson-MacLeod sings the most relatable song lyric to date: “I’m being the cool girl, I’m keeping it so tight” throughout the chorus. 

5. “You’re on your own, Kid” by Taylor Swift

This list would not be complete without a song from Taylor Swift’s newest album, Midnights. Swift is undeniably excellent at detailing specific feelings of heartbreak through her lyrics, which she’s proven through fan-favorite tracks like “All Too Well” and “Dear John.” “You’re on Your Own Kid” is no exception. Swift details the pain and promise that come with growing up. Although this is a sad girl song, it also leaves a notion of hope with lyrics like “you’re on your own, kid, yeah you can face this.” 

Koren Kano

Washington '26

Koren is a sophomore at the UW this fall and is from Honolulu, Hawai'i. She loves spending time outdoors on hikes or at the beach, and enjoys writing about all things fashion, lifestyle, and experiences.