Considering Horseback Riding as a Sport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Smelling the salt water, hearing the sound of the waves of the ocean, exposing your skin to the sunlight and witnessing the fishermen going back to their homes while you are on top of a horse might be an ultimate goal for you this year. The feeling that I had when I went horseback riding in Bali during the summer time is an everlasting experience. My senses demand the love of nature and my love from animals has heightened ever since.   

Via Pinterest

The time I got to see the horse, I touch the side in between their eyes. I felt the warmth of their body and briefly wondered whether they had eaten or not. (Yes, they have eaten already, the owner always give them food in the morning and afternoon every day.) My heartbeat is pounding like a runner running in their track fields during their Olympic run; I was frightened that the horse didn’t like me. She might throw me off, refuse to walk or lie down while I was on top of them. 

I started to put my feet on the spur as the owner gave me the sjambok (a traditional African whip) as if I would ever have the boldness to whip the horse. I had to maneuver the horse’s parth by pulling the reins left to right. When the horse started walking through the sand, “finally” I said, a sigh of relief. I relayed my body on the horse just like their body was mine. The whip is not there to hurt them, but give them a little intuition where to go. As soon as I can deliver her the command, “can-ter” with my sharp voice, my voice alone was able to make her move faster. 

Via Pinterest

The experience I had horseback riding in Bali had me dreaming to constantly about making this activity a hobby.  I felt the sounds of Mother Nature is calling me; I convinced myself to make this as a sport that I will remain doing. It first was a hobby, and then became my favorite sport. There are abounding reasons to try to consider horseback riding as a sport: not only will you look undeniably glamorous, but also you will work with staying balanced, strengthening your core muscles and toning your muscles too. For me, it is a way to practice self-love and a to go excuse for not being an star athlete.  

Via Pinterest

Try horseback riding near Seattle!

Gold Creek Equestrian Center  

16528 148th Ave NE, Woodinville, WA 98072

Brackenhollow Stables 

6367 208th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98053

Safira Vasya

Washington '20

About me: I am a pre-med biology student at UW! I am a writing enthusiast, oldies music lovers and a cat whisperer since ‘98. Find me on Twitter @SafiraVasya Let's chat!