Life > Experiences

Can’t Think of a Fun Fact to Share About Yourself?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Icebreakers and introductions are already stressful enough, let alone trying to think of an interesting fact about yourself. When I try to think of something to say, everything exciting I’ve ever done leaves my mind. Here’s five questions that might spark an idea for a fun fact.

Have you ever met a celebrity?

If you want to say something short and shocking, here it is. It doesn’t tell people too much about yourself but it can be interesting to share. My go-to is that I met Zendaya in JFK Airport 3 years ago. She’s a pretty notable person in Hollywood these days, so it can catch people’s attention. 

Have you ever watched a movie/TV show a ridiculous amount of times?

A bit embarrassing but it can tell you a ton about a person. For example, I’ve watched every season of Gossip Girl eight times. What does that say about me: I love watching the most elite teens of New York live a life I could never survive. Entertainment is something that many people have in common, your favorite TV show or movie might be someone else’s. It’s an easy way to form a simple connection with someone in the group.

Where have you traveled to?

Traveling stories can be one of the things I find most interesting when meeting new people. Bonus points if the story is funny or silly, it can alleviate some tension when doing introductions in a big group. One time when I was at my friend’s lake house in Connecticut, we went cliff jumping off this rock at the lake. It was one of my favorite memories from that summer and something I love to share.

Where are you from?

Hometowns can be easy to talk about because they’re unique to you. It can be a big part of people’s identities and can connect you to someone else. It’s a nice way to share a piece of yourself and something special about your hometown. 

Have you been to a concert/sports game recently?

Especially if it’s a concert for a well-known artist, this can be a cool fact that lets people know what type of music you like listening to. Going to a sports game and recounting a cool experience that happened there can be interesting as well. Like when my friends and I caught the football in the student section at a UW game. 

Whenever you are in a group introducing yourself, I hope this gives you some ideas and confidence of what to share instead of just panicking!

Elizabeth Williams

Washington '25

Elizabeth Williams is one of the Campus Correspondents for University of Washington’s Her Campus chapter. As a freshman she was a Writer, followed by being a Corresponding Editor for a year. In her hometown of Wilton, Connecticut she developed her love of writing in high school. Now as a junior at the University of Washington, she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Psychology. Through her journalism classes she has covered a variety of topics about the environment, social media, and on-campus events. For Her Campus, she mainly writes about music, fashion, and college advice. She also just recently returned to campus from studying abroad in London! In her free time she loves reading (she read 25 books last year), doing hot yoga, and spending time with her roommates. If she’s not writing you can probably find her getting coffee or at a concert, most likely at Harry Styles’ Love on Tour or at Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour. If you have read some of her articles, you can probably tell that her greatest achievements are getting tickets to concerts (a certified skill) and predicting the outcome of reality tv shows.